Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Certificate of Insurance?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Certificate of Insurance?

    I need to have a plumber come and replace a seized fixture in my bathroom.

    My coop board wants me to get the plumber to submit a "scope of work" form, and provide them with his Certificate of Insurance with the building corporation added to it as a beneficiary.

    Is this a normal request when working in a multi dwelling building or is the plumber gonna tell me to go fly a kite?

  • #2
    Re: Certificate of Insurance?

    The first thing I'd say if someone called me with that request, is


    "I can write the document you need for a fee" and tell them upon arrival you'll be collecting.

    Or just not say anything other than if a plumber is called to the location, a service call fee is applied and sure; we'll produce a document for your management uh, err, co-op.

    Once you call 40 plumbing companies, 11 say they will show up and only 2 do, not ever giving you the document, it might be worth the money spent to get the issue followed and completed in that fashion.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Certificate of Insurance?

      I am not worried about the scope of work form, hell, I know exactly what the scope is, I'll just fill that out myself, it is the Certificate of Insurance with the building added as "additional insured" that I am not sure about.

      Is that a big deal for the plumber to provide?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Certificate of Insurance?

        Originally posted by JJJAAAMMM View Post
        I need to have a plumber come and replace a seized fixture in my bathroom.

        My coop board wants me to get the plumber to submit a "scope of work" form, and provide them with his Certificate of Insurance with the building corporation added to it as a beneficiary.

        Is this a normal request when working in a multi dwelling building or is the plumber gonna tell me to go fly a kite?

        It's not a problem. Just tell your insurance agent to send your customer a certificate of insurance. Cities and larger corporate customers sometimes ask to be listed as additional insureds or something similar. What they are really asking for is to be notified by your insurance carrier in the event your insurance policy is canceled for some reason.

        Standard operating procedures for many firms. I'm sure your business liability insurance agent will be happy to talk to you about it.
        Time flies like an arrow.

        Fruit flies like a banana.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Certificate of Insurance?

          We only give certificate of insurance to people who call us for service...as far as scope of work...that is my interpretation as a contract and yes if someone wants a contract then there is a price for time involved...and most companies won't go thru this kind of trouble for anything under $500.00.....
          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

          Derek

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Certificate of Insurance?

            cool thanks, now anyone know a good Manhattan NY plumber? Ha!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Certificate of Insurance?

              Man replacing that sloan valve is turning into a whole thing ...

              There has to be money involved in a job for me to produce a certificate of insurance ..Most guys don't want to be bothered and will move onto the next customer..To muchy of a pain in the as* to deal with ..
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Certificate of Insurance?

                Originally posted by dcman View Post
                We only give certificate of insurance to people who call us for service...as far as scope of work...that is my interpretation as a contract and yes if someone wants a contract then there is a price for time involved...and most companies won't go thru this kind of trouble for anything under $500.00.....
                Yeah, the thing is it is just a seized fixture, something that requires troubleshooting, so I am not sure how they can assume this is something that can be completed before hand.

                Scope of work: remove seized fixture, screw new fixture on.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Certificate of Insurance?

                  Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                  Man replacing that sloan valve is turning into a whole thing ...

                  There has to be money involved in a job for me to produce a certificate of insurance ..Most guys don't want to be bothered and will move onto the next customer..To muchy of a pain in the as* to deal with ..
                  I know right! Ha, I already signed my life away, and provided the building $1000 deposit and provided them with my own certificate of insurance. Next they will want my first born.

                  And for it being too much of a pain for the plumber to deal with, this is what I am afraid of!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Certificate of Insurance?

                    Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                    Man replacing that sloan valve is turning into a whole thing ...

                    There has to be money involved in a job for me to produce a certificate of insurance ..Most guys don't want to be bothered and will move onto the next customer..To muchy of a pain in the as* to deal with ..
                    It sounds like you're just getting your foot in the door. If it were me, I would consider getting a new customer and future work and word of mouth. So they want a quote and a certificate of insurance, it's not that big a deal. (Just my two cents)
                    Time flies like an arrow.

                    Fruit flies like a banana.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Certificate of Insurance?

                      Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                      It's not a problem. Just tell your insurance agent to send your customer a certificate of insurance. Cities and larger corporate customers sometimes ask to be listed as additional insureds or something similar. What they are really asking for is to be notified by your insurance carrier in the event your insurance policy is canceled for some reason.

                      Standard operating procedures for many firms. I'm sure your business liability insurance agent will be happy to talk to you about it.
                      Geno, here if somebody asks to be an additional insurer on your policy it was explained to me that if something happens to me on their site then my insurance will be the first to take care of any problems...and I get charged extra for having them on my policy....thats how I understood it...IDK??
                      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

                      Derek

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Certificate of Insurance?

                        We all know it's more involved than that..Again it's a liability thing ..It all boils down to getting the right plumber there #1 that has enough coverage to satisfy your association #2 Making it worth his while ..simple
                        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Certificate of Insurance?

                          Originally posted by JJJAAAMMM View Post
                          Yeah, the thing is it is just a seized fixture, something that requires troubleshooting, so I am not sure how they can assume this is something that can be completed before hand.

                          Scope of work: remove seized fixture, screw new fixture on.
                          Sorry maybe I misunderstood, ur the plumber in this deal?
                          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

                          Derek

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Certificate of Insurance?

                            Originally posted by dcman View Post
                            Sorry maybe I misunderstood, ur the plumber in this deal?
                            No, I am the customer, but I think I can get away with providing the management company the scope of work form if the plumber scoffs. I think what the building really cares about is the insurance form with them added as additional insured.

                            I was just highlighting the fact that it is a simple fixture replacement. However, since it is broken, how can the plumber really provide anyone with a scope of work before hand. He is not psychic. If all goes as planned, extra long hex wrench, pipe wrench and a torch, or, cut off fixture, if it is really bad. But if the pipe snaps, well then the scope just got blown out of the water.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Certificate of Insurance?

                              When I need a certificate of insurance I call my insurance company and request the certificate and then they ask "For who and why" I tell them a condo association or whatever and that I'm doing general service work and repairs etc.......they email,fax or mail a copy to the "Holder" of the certificate. This assures the customer I have insurance and my insurance must notify the customer if I cancel or the policy is cancelled.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X