X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help w/ JET PUMP

I am pretty good at diagnosing, repairing and replacing submersible pumps but I don't have alot of experience with Shallow well jet pumps. I was called to an old farmhouse today (a friends mother in laws) because the pump continued to run constantly. I immediately noticed the pressure tank was water logged and needed replaced. Installed new tank w/ old tank tee fittings, etc. Turned the power on and same thing. The pump would only build up to 25psi?.....After hooking a test guage to the line from the cellar to the "creek" I put pressure on the line and it held fine. KNowing the pump was old I decided to replace it thinking this would resolve the problem. Well I put a new pump in and spent forever trying to get the pump to prime. I did everything right.....But the pump will not build more than 25psi so it wont build up enough press. to cut off?????When you turn a faucet on the pressure drops from 25 to almost zero but it never stops completely. Once you turn faucet back off it builds back up to 25 but will NOT build up anymore than that. When I went to the shallow well you can NOT see, feel, or hear anything happening at the foot valve. Shouldn't I be able to see or feel it "sucking" water? I worked on this thing til 11pm and I am stumped....IM going back tomorrow to install a new foot valve, even though I am doubtful and dont think thats the problem....Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks....Ps....I even removed the tank tee to make sure the pressure wasnt restriced...the piping and pump tee are fine but when I removed the tee there wasnt even any water that came from the tank? Thanks guys

Re: Need help w/ JET PUMP

Sounds like you might have a plugged jet nozzle. Does your pump have 1 or 2
    lines from pump to water source? If 2, then the nozzle will be in the Jet body
    where the 2 lines come together @ the foot valve. If only 1 line. then the nozzle will be installed in the pump itself. Where will depend on what brand/model pump you have. What brand is it?

Rick

Comment

either a plugged jet, leaking suction line, or a bad foot valve.
      sigpic

Comment

hell try 2 pumps. lol. breid.............

Comment

This is a shallow well and only has 1 line. We tested the suction line with air pressure and no leaks.

I guess since its unlikey that since we are experiencing the same problem with BOTH pumps its unlikely that both of them would have a clogged jet? The foot valve was my first guess also but when I go to the "box" that they have in the creek I can visually feel, see, and hear the foot valve and it doesn't appear to be drawing any water. (strange I know since water is coming out but not enough to exceed 25psi) When I pull the foot valve out of the water and I manually press the check valve to open you can hear a faint air/sucking noise......THe spring and valve "seem" to be working properly as its not stuck, etc.....I guess I will start this morning with a foot valve, THis is on a farm in a very rural area so my access to parts last not was very limited. I will keep you guys posted....IF anyone else has any ideas before I leave in the next hour I would love to hear them...>Thanks again

Comment

Will it hold 25 lbs with the pump off ?
            Can water be leaking at a forgotten faucet ?

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
              Will it hold 25 lbs with the pump off ?
              Can water be leaking at a forgotten faucet ?
              Yes, It will still hold 25psi even if you manually shut the pump off. No faucets, hosebibs, etc open.....Pressure tested the line from pump to water source....NO LEAKS! This morning I installed the new foot valve and primed the pump. It easily primed but was doing the same thing! GRRRRRR ---- Then after turning it off I lost prime...>I spent another 30 minutes attempting to prime this pump with no luck.! I am back at the office now to try another pump even tho I don't believe thats the problem....So here is where we stand right now. New 25gal pressure tank, 2 new gauges, new fittings, new foot valve, pressure test on line. ???? Once the pump is primed it will begin pumping but will NOT exceed 25psi! It acts like the pump is too small.....New pump is exact same size and voltage as previous pump that has worked for years! I don't get stumped often, but I dont know what to do next

Comment

Is there an additional check valve on the suction line you happen to be testing against, you can try this by "Backflushing" the line from pump towards foot valve.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                  Is there an additional check valve on the suction line you happen to be testing against, you can try this by "Backflushing" the line from pump towards foot valve.
                  I thought of that also, but if there is a check valve it is not visible and would be underground (which doesnt sound likely?). The pipe comes up through the concret in the cellar and thats where I hooked my test guage to was the 1" galvanized tee....

Thanks for the feedback guys

Comment

Backflush it you never know. If there is then you know you have a leak in the line. It will only take a few minutes. or pressurize it again and relieve it by taking off the footvalve.

Comment

If you had a suction leak with a shallow well system, it would be sucking lots of air. It probably wouldn't even prime.

If you had a plugged jet on the old pump, it's not at all impossible for the new pump to have a plugged jet as well. Only takes a small piece of scale.

Changing the tank couldn't have helped at all as far as the 25 psi goes.

You will probably find that either the jet or impeller has junk in it.

What shape were the suction lines in. Were they coated with mineral or were they clean? What are you drawing water from? A creek??? Does the footvalve have a screen on it? What brand pump did it have and what did you replace it with? How many feet of suction line is there? What's the lift in feet?
                      All these things would be helpful in diagnosing things.
                      Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Thanks for all your feedback guys! The problem has been resolved. After not knowing of anything else to try I thought "hmmm maybe this new pump is not good".....So I went and bought another pump, hooked it up exactly like I did the previous pump and WAA-LA! It is working perfect! No telling how many hours I WASTED on this thing for a faulty pump. Grrrrr

Comment

I guess your not going to tell us what brand the old one and new one were. Not to mention the newest one. I sure would like to know.

Comment

[QUOTE=speedbump;337823]I guess your not going to tell us what brand the old one and new one were. Not to mention the newest one. I sure would like to know.[/QUOTB

Both new pumps were UTILITECH from Lowes. These were purchase by the howeowner who is my best friends mother-in-law. We originally purchased the pump because it was after 5pm and no plumbing supply stores were open. I would NEVER under any circumstance use this if I had an option.

In a pinch If I have to use the HOme Depot or Lowes sump pumps I tell the customers that they are junk and make them sign a waiver that relieves me of all liability if the pump fails. I have see tooooo many of those things fail!

Comment

I've not seen a UTILITECH yet, but I'm sure it has the same quality as the Flotec and others.

We refuse to work on them in or out of the shop entirely. No matter what happens, its always the Pump Guys fault.

Comment

Working...
                              X