X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PB2110... What Now?

Ok... Ol' Doc's house is plumbed with PB2110. The entire house. Split-level on four levels. Three baths, one is on the slab. House was built in '93 and haven't had a PB issue. Yet.

Now the water heater is going through it's death throes and needs to be replaced. No problem, well within my capabilities. BUT... that's when I noticed the whole damn house is plumbed with PB (bought the house in '02, never paid any attention to the supply lines).

When can I expect the Great Flood?
    How much is this gonna cost me to prevent said Great Flood?
    Aside from setting the pressure valve to about 4psi, what can I do to prevent the Great Flood short of repiping the whole dang house?

Opinions (and free plumbing services) greatly appreciated.

"Doc"
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Re: PB2110... What Now?

whoa..that's a can of worms...try this...http://www.pbpipe.com/
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Thanks for the link.

So it's that bad, huh?
      Are we permitted to curse like a drunken sailor on shore leave here?

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
        Thanks for the link.

So it's that bad, huh?
        Are we permitted to curse like a drunken sailor on shore leave here?

Well it can be a big deal if you start having leaks....depends on the fittings used, water quality conditions, and such...here its more a problem with people who don't have softeners, have really high water pressure, and the plastic fittings with the metal crimp rings...but I have encountered houses with no problems...crap shoot in the end...the real nightmare comes in the re-pipe....

Derek

Comment

Not everybody experiences problems with PB. Remember it has only a 50% failure rate (LOL). What I tell my customers that have PB and are not yet ready to invest in a repipe is have a pressure regulator installed if needed and turn it down to to 50 psi or less, turn off water when leaving for any extended period of time. Keep a close watch for any moisture around fixture connections, bottom of plumbing walls, under house, etc. Anyway you look at it its a ticking time bomb.

Comment

Tic tic Tic Its scary stuff

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
              ...here its more a problem with people who don't have softeners, have really high water pressure, and the plastic fittings with the metal crimp rings...
              Mine has copper fittings with copper crimp rings at all joints/unions. Our water doesn't need softeners and our chlorine count is pretty low for municipal water. I do have both a pressure regulator and a decent sized pressurized surge tank on the system. Haven't checked the pressure though.

Comment

Mine has copper fittings with copper crimp rings at all joints/unions. Our water doesn't need softeners and our chlorine count is pretty low for municipal water. I do have both a pressure regulator and a decent sized pressurized surge tank on the system. Haven't checked the pressure though.
                Pray and live right then

Derek

Comment

It has lasted here about 20-25 years before the 1st issue comes up....usually a small slit spraying water but not flooding. Some houses I did back in the mid 80's are still working but it will start failing soon I suspect. We never installed any type of plastic fittings with it...always coppa with coppa crimp rings. Regulating the pressure will buy you more time(as a previous post stated) and keep the water temp below 125 degrees.

Comment

Sawzall (check)
                    Right angle Drill (Check)
                    Uponor (check)
                    Insulation (check)
                    Plastic knockins (Check)
                    Angle stops and supply lines (Check)

Start making your list now.
                    "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

It was bound to happen.

Fortunately, it happened on a cold water line to the kitchen fixture, a line above the unfinished garage. Someone got a little to aggressive hammering the pipe hanger into the floor joist, and it finally cracked.

I offer a prayer of thanks for that (the exposed pipe). I also offer thanks to whomever decided that PB and PEX should be damn close in size to one another. And a big 'thank you' to whomever invented SharkBites.

Comment

Amen to sharkbites. Those things saved my butt repairing some old plastic line in a mobile home built back in the late 70's. Who would have thought that the local hardware store would still sell them stupid quest plastic fittings as well.
                        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I like the crimp on style transitional fittings to convert to pex when I'm working with polybutylene. Drdeere your problems are just starting....you will have more leaks. Its fact.

Comment

Yep. I know.
                            But I can't afford a re-pipe, so I'm in 'patch&pray' mode.
                            Got me some extra SharkBites, some crimp fittings, and lengths of PEX.
                            The house is a four level split. I can re-pipe levels one thru three myself if needed. The top level... not so much.

Comment

Yep. I know.
                              But I can't afford a re-pipe, so I'm in 'patch&pray' mode.
                              Got me some extra SharkBites, some crimp fittings, and lengths of PEX.
                              The house is a four level split. I can re-pipe levels one thru three myself if needed. The top level... not so much.
                              If your using sharkbites on poly make sure your buying the ones that are made to transition between poly X pex,coppa,cpvc.
                              The typical sharkbite is not approved for use on polybutylene.

Comment

Working...
                              X