X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusted Bolts

I had to change the seals between the tank and the bowl on a toilet yesterday. The bolts that hold the tank on were totally rusted, enough that I had to cut them off with a dremel, which made somewhat of a mess. I am just curious, how does everyone else usually solve this issue?

Re: Rusted Bolts

pretty much the same way you did.

if the original plumber was thinking down the road, they would have applied a thin layer of grease on brass bolts and tossed the cad plated bolts

of course if you waited to the next roundup, you would have had 6 plumbers fighting to do it for you

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I like the Dremel method myself. I have in the past used a long metal cutting reciprocation blade, its risky, and you need to be very careful. Since I bought the Dremel, I have not used the long blade.
      If I can't fix it, I will help you find a good plumber.

Comment

yeah, I use a reciprocating saw. haven't had a problem with it, but it does take some care.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Last one I did, I used a small side grinder... Also got a trip to the doctor out of it to remove a brass sliver from my right eye. Stupid is painful.

Comment

You can cut the bolts with a Fein multimaster type vibrating tool. It's hard on the blade, but you have great control.

Comment

I just use a hacksaw blade and cut. Brass is a soft enough material to where it's not a big deal.
              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

i use my sawzall with a long blade..if i dont have the room or its a 3 rusted bolter i might pull it up and use the angle grinder outside

Comment

i use my sawzall with a long blade gata love the 18v cordless dewalt
                  SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

I personally like to use a hammer and a long flat tipped screwdriver.

(I get to sell more toilets using this method.)

The truth is I seldom come across toilets with non brass nuts where the tank needs to come off. Have used a sawzall to cut frozen bolts off, but also carry a dremel tool, which I might try next time the problem crops up.
                    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

If the bolts rotates with the nut on, I'll use a drill and spin the nut. Then place a sawzall metal cutting blade under the nut and apply pressure on the blade. The blade will eat right through and since the blade isn't moving at all, no scratches to the porcelin.

If the bolts don't spin, use a dremel with a right angle attachment.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                      X