Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another question about the Journeymans Test.

I'm taking the Ky Journeymans test this Saturday and can't seem to find anyone that can answer any questions I have....

Most of it i'm fairly confident about, but on the Practical portion, the Soil Pipe Project specifically, I have no idea what the takeoff is for the 1 1/2" c.i 45...

I took a prep course and they gave us all the info for the Copper Test (calculating offsets with 1.414 and taking off 3/8 for your 45s.)

but i must have missed the class where they went over the c.i test..

anyone know what the take-off for those 45s are?

Re: Yet another question about the Journeymans Test.

I think your question is going to have to be answered by someone that has taken the test in KY. It looks like they make you do a lead and oakum Joint? Is that right? I feel like I just fell through a worm hole, and am having bad flashbacks to watching my dad pour and wipe lead joints. AGGGGGHHHH. Do they make you use this to drill through studs?
    Thank God for PVC and NO HUB
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jay/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jay/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.png[/IMG]
    "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

no not the lead joint.. they did away with that awhile back. now you have to take 13 - 1 1/2" no-hub mission bands and measure out your offsets on the diagram, etc, then assemble your pieces of c.i with the mission bands in a preconstructed box with various outlets..

it doesnt look too complicated really. if i just knew the makeup of these 1 1/2" c.i 45s...

Comment

I took it about a month ago and i was 1 of 5 out of 30 who passed. the test is a *****. on the cast iron, they give you what to take off for the fitting, you just have to make sure you take of for the no hub band(1/8")

the other thing is, the copper is harder than you think, take a tape measure. measure it all different directions a make sure it matches the paper.

Comment

On the no hub cast 45 the fitting take off allowance is going to be from the center of the fitting to the end of it plus the no hub
          you will have 2 - 45 so it will be double
          You will have a tape measure all you need to do is use it on the fitting in front of you
          its shorter on cop because the pipe goes into the fitting
          Just remember center of the fitting to were the pipe will meet it

Comment

May not be good enough for your test, but here's how i do it:

Measure minimum offset of the two 45's (joined with NH coup). Let's say it's 2.25"

The "go-between" is zero, obviously, for a minimum offset.

2.25 x 1.414 = 3.18. The take off is 3.18 (if you measured the minimum offset accurately).

So, what is the go-between for, let's say, a 17" offset?

(17 x 1.414) less 3.18.

The go-between for a 17" offset would be 20.86. Call it 20 7/8.

If you measure the minimum offset correctly, the math will be perfect (other than that 1.414 is rounded down a bit.)

that's how i do it. Extremely reliable in the field. Prob not good enough for your test. I failed the rolling offset calculation on my journeyman not because of the formula but because the booth was out of square.

Comment

for all the time you spent asking questions here on the forum you could have done a little research on the internet and found the answer for yourself in half the time. sorry if that hurts but I see you as lazy.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
              X