Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plumbing for Addition - Is this a fair price?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing for Addition - Is this a fair price?

I know it's always a difficult question, however, I would like to understand if what I am getting is actually fair:

I am doing an addition and the 2nd floor is completely new construction. The plumber has to plumb 2 bathrooms and then some:

1st Bathroom:
    - one toilet
    - one double lavatory
    - one tub

2nd Bathroom:
    - one toilet
    - one double lavatory
    - one shower (with only one shower head)
    - one whirlpool

Laundry Room:
    - Washing Machine connection
    - one laundry tub

Then he is going to run PEX lines (supply and return) to two A/C units for the hydronic heating coil and also runs two condensation lines. The entire potable water will be done with PEX as a homerun system (running main line to 2nd floor with gravity fed return line to water heater) and then manifold in 2nd floor.

I am supplying the fixtures and rough in valves as well as the whirlpool and toilets.

I am providing access on the first floor to do the plumbing (walls and ceilings will be opened).

He is going to tie in the new plumbing into the existing drain plumbing in the basement as well as into the existing potable water supply from water heater.

Now, a friend of mine, a builder, told me that the sames guy charges him $500 per fixture + more for whirlpool and that includes the fixtures, but cheap stuff. I am getting a quote for $7000 (and buying my own fixtures). So basically, if I count the fixtures (double lavatory = 2 fixtures, and return and supply line to 1 AC = 1 fixture), i am coming to $540 per fixture - however, with supplying my own fixtures.

Does that sound like a fair price for you guys in the area here? By the way: I live in northern NJ.

Thank you!

Re: Plumbing for Addition - Is this a fair price?

Sounds fair to me.

If you think somthing is up with the price talk to the Plumber face to face.

Comment

fair price
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I don't do new stuff...seems low to me...I asked my new construction plumber buddy, he says fair...
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

$7,000 for what you described in "Northern New Jersey" area, is very reasonable imo.

Comment

He's running lazy man's pipe so he'll be done and out in less than 7 hours tops for that job. Make sure you use mouse reflective tape on all penetrations through wood.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Sounds fair. This has been a problem here in the North Texas area lately. Builders that are used to doing new houses are now into the remodeling. They are used to using sub-contractors, who sub out to sub-contractors, who then in more than 75% of the time sub out to illegal workers. The builder will use pricing that is based on what he has been getting for new construction. Which is a whole lot easier than remodel plumbing, for numerous reasons. For example, you are probably not going to be standing over his shoulder telling him how to do it on a new construction site. I just lost a job to a builders plumber on a shower pan replacement. He did it for $250.00. I couldn't even come close. Good luck. Check his license, I hear Jersey is pretty tough to get a license in.
              "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Thank you Guys!

The idea of the tape around PEX: Haven't heard about that. Is that actually a bigger issue that mice can chew through the PEX? So you think that they can do the rough in in one day? That would not be bad, so I can schedule the inspection right the day after they start hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter76 View Post
                  Thank you Guys!

So you think that they can do the rough in in one day? That would not be bad, so I can schedule the inspection right the day after they start hopefully.
                  I can't possibly see that rough-in being done in 1 day. You mentioned nothing about drain lines being installed,whirlpool & tub set, and all valve bodies being installed.

If 1 guy is doing it, and he gets in done in one day, I would seriously question his work.

2 day minimum for all that work to be roughed in imo.

Comment

i am in northern nj and i cant do $540 a fixture even for a contractor let alone a homeowner. however i dont use pex, still sounds cheap. Most companies around here are hiring "illegals"---they get dropped off in the morning and picked up at night. Ruining the trade day by day.

Comment

Originally posted by stecar View Post
                      i am in northern nj and i cant do $540 a fixture even for a contractor let alone a homeowner. however i dont use pex, still sounds cheap. Most companies around here are hiring "illegals"---they get dropped off in the morning and picked up at night. Ruining the trade day by day.
                      It's a real problem here, and the City inspectors and State inspectors have turned a blind eye to it. They were trying to turn them in, but no one knows what to do. More inner agency communication problems. When I lived in San diego, Ca., One of the contractors I worked for had his truck and trailer full of woodworking tools confiscated for picking up an Undercover border control agent and not asking for proper id., etc. I don't know if they still do that in CA. or not. Maybe Rick knows. I have asked several times for Border patrol to come up into this area to check a few id's, and they don't have the man-power to do so.
                      "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

i have a friend that would ask how do you have? lol. breid.............

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                          i have a friend that would ask how do you have? lol. breid.............

Comment

Seems low even by new construction standards, especially with manifold system, but it is a "competitive" work environment - so who knows. Like jay was saying, lot of new construction contractors aren't used to bidding or working on renos where there are many more unknowns as opposed to bidding a new house from a set of prints.

Comment

Working...
                            X