X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring damaged pipe threads

The plastic fitting inside my antisyphon device (FEBCO 765-3/4) froze to the pipe holding the device during the winter and I had to gouge it out with a hammer and chisel, in the process damaging some of the threads in the pipe which has prevented installing a replacement device. I've searched locally and on the internet for a thread chaser but have not found one, but there are apparently taps for this size (plastic fitting measures 1 3/8 OD) available at a very high price. I am wondering if forum participants have any suggestions on how to fix this problem without having to buy a new tap to clean up the threads.

Re: Restoring damaged pipe threads

If I am understanding you correctly your wanting a 3/4" pipe tap to chase out the brass unit,

(note: link changed from the search to the product, hope it helps, this is for a 3/4 inch)
    http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32
    this is the catalog page
    http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=325-4763

If that does not work go to useenco.com and use the search for pipe tap, you can get a import tap for a reasonable price, About $14

MSC Supply would most likely have them as well,

Harbor Freight has a set as well, 6 pieces from 1/4" to 1 1/4". for $45
    http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece...aps-42432.html

I have a set of them from one or the other places and have used it many times either to tap threads in a plate or to chase out some thing,
    Last edited by BHD; 03-29-2011, 12:55 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Your enco link opens a different page each time it opens. I'd say HF is the way to go.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

thanks Mark I checked that link a few times and it worked for me when I tested it, but I think it is fixed now,
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

if the threads are not to bad then take a black nipple and thread it in ,some times it will straighten the threads . if they ate bad then you need a tap
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Don't know about the HF taps shown but I do have a set of taps and dies from HF and the quality is not great. On the other hand I did pick up a set of great taps on ebay (I think Greenfield) for tapping holes in steel and there is huge difference between the quality of the HF taps and Greenfield taps. These taps are not cheap but the ones listed on ebay are very reasonably priced.

Comment

no I did not say the HF or ENCO imports taps are of great quality, but the price is affordable to buy one high quality made tap "Cleavland" brand of 3/4" will cost one over $80, for one 3/4" tap,

and to chase out some brass threads, and most likely only going to use them once or a few times in ones life I would opt for the lower cost ones or one, if I was goign to thread holes all day long or use them regularly I would defiantly consider the better unit,

for the 80 bucks he can replace the damaged unit.

one can always look at Ebay for used items, taps and may be even the valve,

one thing I have done in the past to clean up some threads before I got the taps, was to take a nipple of the correct size and then saw (with a hack saw a slot down the end of the pipe through the threads some times twice so there was 4 slots,) and that would kinda work like a thread chase,
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

The Greenfield taps I got on ebay were very reasonably priced and brand new (nowhere near the regular selling price). Probably overstock. This was some years ago but I was tipped off about this from a machinist website I sometimes use. I guess my point is if you can locate a good tap for the same price as a cheap set from HF then why get the HF set.

Comment

Working...
                X