Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fittings

Hello
    I separated this form my thread on putting water line in from meter to house as that one was pretty much solved.

Here is what/how the plumber installed the line coming in. My question is on the use of the plastic fittings/elbow. Are they normally used and what is the strenght compared to brass? I read that they may be stronger and less prone to imperfection than brass fittings. Thanks, Ron
    Attached Files

Re: Fittings

How could plastic be stronger than metal?
    I see he used a brass reducer coupling before the ell.
    Guess he couldn't make up his mind.
    The crimp ring on that ell don't look none too spiffy.

Comment

Big Jim
      I know, but what I think (I may not have explained correctly or used the right words) is that the formed fittings may not have the potential to have cracks or weakness as in a cast fitting. In the same breath, plastic could be also weak. I read where the PPSU type "Plastic" is not regular type plastic.
      Anyway, it is in and I really don't want to have it change right now. Ron

Comment

Gotcha. Use it till it fails. Pex is easy to repair.

Comment

Look at it this way...the reason the gray p.b. failed was plastic fitting crimped with metal rings...the metal fittings with crimp rings on p.b no problems...Personally would have kept it all metal fittings..but as it was said its easy to fix...
          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Comment

What does the symbol mean??

Has anybody else ever used these fittings and what do you think? What is any different than the cpcv elbows used in the rest of the line. They seem to have held up fine. SHould I have him replace it with a brass fitting?
              What would be involved in replacing? Ron
              Originally posted by Flux View Post
              Last edited by Ronald; 04-01-2011, 09:11 PM.

Comment

I've used them, they aren't anything to worry about. though it looks like the crimp on that elbow is a bit off.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

MoJourneyman
                  It is not as bad as it looks on my pic. It is mostly my camera angle. It looks pretty even all the way around.
                  In your opinion, would you leave it alone or replace it?
                  Once it is already in, I hate to mess with it others have used them and they are satisfied with them. They are stronger than a regular cpcv elbow (which is all over my basement).

Comment

I'd leave it alone. we install those plastic fittings new with no issues.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Ronald you told us that you were getting a 1" PE sleeved all the way from the meter to the inside...

What Happened?

Comment

I did. This where it enters the basemant and makes the turn. Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald View Post
                          What does the symbol mean??
                          Ron, what you posted would get turned down where I live. You must live in the South with your meters being outside.

Here in Pa. we have to have a brass flare fitting when we come through the wall and copper until after the meter spread, then we can run anything we want. The water companies up here want Pressure reducing valves, back flow preventers, and at least 2 valves to shut the entire meter spread down so they can work on the meter if they have too. A meter up here will not be set without those things.

Now we can run black poly underground, but when we come through the wall, it has to be a brass flare fitting on Public water here. Some allow a sweat 90...but not many.

Comment

Yes, I live in TN. The frost line is 18 inches and my line in at 24 inches.
                            I have PE entering the basement from the meter. My meter is outside.
                            Now, the line enters through the base wall which is heated simi finished. Then it makes the 90 degree turn and then there is a brass cut off valve, then the pressure reducing valve. After the valve is another brass cut off ( I like the option where I cut it off!) valve. From this valve it is cpvc all through the house. Ron

Comment

Ronald,

I think thats 1" PEX pipe

If its 1" PE then it is installed wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X