Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

use oiled oakum with bonding putty to seal cast iron hub?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• use oiled oakum with bonding putty to seal cast iron hub?

I just come back from HD. I tried to buy a 3" to 2" donut for my cast iron pipe replacement. They don't have it but i was recommended to use Oiled Oakum with Oatey's FIX-it STICK all purpose Bonding Putty to seal the hub joint. The procedure is the same as Oakum with Lead. Just use bonding Putty on the top instead of Lead.

I have to use cast iron hub.

Do you guys think his recommendation is OK?

Re: use oiled oakum with bonding putty to seal cast iron hub?

not even kinda.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

looks like some professional also use do the job this way: "Tip of the day......... If you find yourself needing to caulk a horizontal joint and you don't have your running rope handy, Plumbers putty will work in a pinch." (http://www.plumbingzone.com/f21/i-ac...-11175/index2/)

Comment

they use the plumbers putty in place of a running rope, Not the lead. The running rope is wrapped around the pipe to funnel the lead into the joint. The same length of rope is used over and over, it doesn't stay with the pipe. Using putty for that application is the same, you make a mold, pour the lead, remove the putty, and tamp the lead.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by thisnewowner View Post
          I just come back from HD. I tried to buy a 3" to 2" donut for my cast iron pipe replacement. They don't have it but i was recommended to use Oiled Oakum with Oatey's FIX-it STICK all purpose Bonding Putty to seal the hub joint. The procedure is the same as Oakum with Lead. Just use bonding Putty on the top instead of Lead.

Go to a plumbing supply house and get the donut gasket if you cannot pack and pour a proper joint..Forget what the expert at HD says ..Or find a plumber in your area that can do it right..Let us know how it goes
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

It will work fine. Its not proper but it will work. I know a guy who builds fiberglass boats......he had bad lead pipe and I told him it needed to be replaced and it did. He decided to leave the lead in place and totally encase the lead in fiberglass unsing the lead pipe as a form. That was about 15 years ago and its still working just fine.

Just because its not in a textbook doesn't mean it will not work. The oakum is what makes the joint water tight......not the lead. The lead holds the oakum in place.....epoxy will do the same thing.

Comment

the lead gets tamped to make sure the joint is and stays tight,

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                the lead gets tamped to make sure the joint is and stays tight,
                Right,but the epoxy putty is waterproof unlike the lead in a typical joint and you can pack it.

Its fine for a weekend warrior repair on an exposed joint.

Again its not proper but it will work.....and it will more expensive than using other methods.

Comment

Thisnewowner:

Do yourself a favor and do it right. If you go to sell your home someday you may be forced to deal with getting the epoxy out.

Look on the hub see if it says SV or XH. Whatever it says go to a plumbing supply house and ask for a 3" (SV service weight or XH extra heavy) x2" reducing push gasket. Taper the end of the pipe you're trying to push into the gasket. Put some soap or other non-petroleum based lubricant on the pipe you're inserting as well as on the surface of the gasket. Don't push the pipe in too far or you'll block the other pipe.

Good luck to you sir!
                  Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

A lot of HACKS in this area are fond of using silicone or epoxy putty to replace the lead. Sure, it works........for awhile and then the joint loosens up due to expansion and contraction.

I feel the need to bring back my old siggy here

Crap, Crap, Crappity Crap
                    sigpic

Comment

Lead I haven`t used it since my apprenticeship days in the 1960`s when they realized it was crap crap crappity crap crap

Tony

Comment

No, they realized that plastic was faster, cheaper and didn't require much training or education.
                        sigpic

Comment

Yeah then the guy at HomeDepot says.."I saw this on tv Mighty Putty".What a joke

Comment

At our local HD, the construction expert was a retired small town postmaster--
                            "but he did build his own cabin"

Comment

Sure

Comment

Working...
                              X