Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Connect to galvanized pipe without threads?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connect to galvanized pipe without threads?

Is there any way to connect to galvanized pipe without threads?

Background: I have an old 3/4" galvanized water line underground out to a storage shed (about 60 feet from house). The water line has a shut-off in the house basement. In the shed the line comes out of the concrete slab thru the bottom plate of the wall. The pipe sticks up about 6" but has been cut off (no threaded end. There is no space to use a pipe threader to rethread the end of the pipe. I would like to make a connection to this pipe and use PEX to extend to a hose bib for car washing and general cleaning.

Any way to do this?

Re: Connect to galvanized pipe without threads?

Originally posted by rjniles View Post

Background: I have an old 3/4" galvanized water line underground out to a storage shed (about 60 feet from house). The water line has a shut-off in the house basement. In the shed the line comes out of the concrete slab thru the bottom plate of the wall. The pipe sticks up about 6" but has been cut off (no threaded end. There is no space to use a pipe threader to rethread the end of the pipe. I would like to make a connection to this pipe and use PEX to extend to a hose bib for car washing and general cleaning.

Any way to do this?
    There is not really an approved method to make the connection. However, 6" is enough to re-thread if you flip the dies on a threaded.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Ay mcdonald catalog number 4758-22-55 3/4 make sure you get the appropriate stiffener for the 3/4 pex.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by rjniles View Post

Any way to do this?

Not legal here. A dresser coupling will compress around a 3/4 galvanized line. You could transition to a 3/4 galvanized or brass nipple with the threads cutoff one end. Then use a flare adapter to go to copper, or use whatever adapter you would use to go to whatever material you would want.

SewerRatz posted a link to a propress crimp type device that crimps steel fittings to steel pipe.

The best potential solution? Use a power pony to thread so you don't have to swing a hand held ratchet threader? Nice.
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I would re-thread the pipe but since it is in the stud bay there is no way to turn the pipe threading die.

That McDonald fitting looks like the answer, hopefully my local plumb. supply house has it in stock or will order it for me. A little pricey but it will save a lot of problems for me.

If anyone else has an idea, let it fly.

Comment

we use those ay mcdonald fittings quit a bit, they're a bit better than a dressor coupling because they have a ribbed clamp at the back to help restrain the fitting.
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

http://www.philmac.co.uk/wp-content/...il_version.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                we use those ay mcdonald fittings quit a bit, they're a bit better than a dressor coupling because they have a ribbed clamp at the back to help restrain the fitting.
                Very cool. Like a Ford fitting except for steel. I don't believe I've ever seen one. Thanks!!
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                X