Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How water heater venting without chimney?

Greetings:

During a renovation I decided to change my gas forced air heating units to high efficiency units to allow me to remove the old brick chimney (giving me more living space) as they use plastic exhaust pipes.

I have a gas hot water heater that I need to change as it was exhausted via the brick chimney.

Can someone recommend a few gas hot water heaters that are high efficiency and don’t need the chimney? Please explain the exhaust method? I’ve read about “Power Vented”. Is that what I need? Are there other gas hot water heaters (aside from tankless – won’t get ROE for 10 years or so).

I did think about electric but don’t feel they are cost effective in my area due to the cost of electric.

Regards.
    Regards,
    K. Nezz

Re: How water heater venting without chimney?

I recomend an A.O. Smith Vertex. They are 90 percent efficient. They vent thru the wall (check installation guide for acceptable location) and ROI is way faster than tankless.

Comment

I used this one, it burns 100,000 btu. I use it to heat the house and supply the hot water: I claims "up to 96% efficient" http://www.americanwaterheater.com/p...pdf/lpg100.pdf

Comment

Just looking for a hot water heater. I already have two newly install gas heaters and ac units (dual zone). As I have a whirlpool tub in one of the two baths I'm thining a 50 gallon tank. If Bradford/White which unit would be good.. again I need to be able to vent via plastice as I removed my brick chimney.
        Regards,
        K. Nezz

Comment

I would think any power vent water heater should work...and here your not allowed as of last year to exhaust the flue into a chimney anymore...
          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

The Vertex is a sweet unit. State makes one like it too (Cyclone I think). They sometimes qualify for a tax credit.

Depending on the size of your house (# of bathrooms, etc.) and if you have 3/4 gas line available, a tankless may be practical.

Comment

Working...
            X