X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC for hot water supply?

On another plumbing forum (DIYChatroom.com) the question came up about using PVC pipe for hot water supply applications. I was always under the impression that PVC was good for cold water supplies and DVW applications but hot water required CPVC. One of the poster claims that PVC is rated by the manufacturers for hot water supply but the local jurisdiction may have a local rule against it. I thought I would ask this foruma as there are many more professional plumbers on the board. Here is a link to the discussion:

http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/replac...hutoff-100510/

What say you, can PVC be used this way?

Re: PVC for hot water supply?

Originally posted by rjniles View Post
    On another plumbing forum (DIYChatroom.com) the question came up about using PVC pipe for hot water supply applications. I was always under the impression that PVC was good for cold water supplies and DVW applications but hot water required CPVC. One of the poster claims that PVC is rated by the manufacturers for hot water supply but the local jurisdiction may have a local rule against it. I thought I would ask this foruma as there are many more professional plumbers on the board. Here is a link to the discussion:

http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/replac...hutoff-100510/

What say you, can PVC be used this way?
    Pvc is rated up to 140 degrees but the pressure rating drops to 22% of its max working pressure....and remember that threaded sch40 fittings already get derated 50% off the jump. So a threaded PVC sch 40 fittings with 140 degree water is rated at 11% of the pipes working pressure. So says Charlotte pipe.

Comment

Wata hamma is a killa in a case like dis

Comment

CPVC Flowguard Gold is rated for 180 degrees.

I'm not a fan of CPVC at all, as a water heater has the "potential" to easily go over 140 degrees.

Comment

Neither the IPC or the UPC will allow PVC to be used inside a dwelling for either hot or cold water piping.
          sigpic

Comment

IPC also states CPVC water lines must be rated for 100 psi and 180 degrees at a minimum.

Comment

Working...
            X