X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drainout Plug

I have what appears to be a tough question for my local home improvement stores

I have a 2.5" drainout and am looking for an expandable plug to seal it but the only sizes in every store and in every online store I have searches is either 2" or 3" and neither of which will seal a 2.5" (Even though one salesman assured me the 2" would, but that was not correct)

Any suggestions?

Re: Drainout Plug

Originally posted by Kurkus View Post
    I have what appears to be a tough question for my local home improvement stores

I have a 2.5" drainout and am looking for an expandable plug to seal it but the only sizes in every store and in every online store I have searches is either 2" or 3" and neither of which will seal a 2.5" (Even though one salesman assured me the 2" would, but that was not correct)

Any suggestions?
    I'm not sure what a "Drainout Plug" is but if it is a cleanout plug you need to replace it with a cleanout plug. I doubt anyone makes a 2.5" expandable test plug. That's not to say you could not adapt something to work but it wouldn't be right.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Yes, you are correct, I guess it's called a cleanout plug

And why would they not make that size (2.5") when some are that size?

Comment

a 2.5'' plug is typical for a 3'' cleanout tee/ iron body cleanout.

if the threads are still good, then install a 2.5'' brass or plastic plug. if the threads are shot, you might be able to force a 3'' expansion plug into the 2.5'' threaded opening as it's size is closer to 3'' than 2.5''.

2.5'' plugs are more of a supply house item than a diy store.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          2.5'' plugs are more of a supply house item than a diy store.
          Wouldnt a DIY house have the same stuff as a supply house?

And what kind of store is a supply house? (Any names or websites for a couple?)

Comment

Originally posted by Kurkus View Post
            Wouldnt a DIY house have the same stuff as a supply house?

And what kind of store is a supply house? (Any names or websites for a couple?)
            I'm not aware of anyone who makes a 2.5" plug to use in place of a cleanout plug. They do make 2.5" pipe plugs but that would cost a lot more than a cleanout plug and probably not work as intended.

The difference between a supply house and a DIY store is like the difference between a 7-11 and a Costco.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Ditto to what Rick said.

I keep 1 brass 2.5" plug and 1 lead fit all plug on my truck for such situations.

Comment

The brass plug will not go back on the outlet because f the concrete I had to chip away to clear the outlet, so the only option would be for an expansion plug

I refuse to believe no one makes an expansion plug to fit a 2.5 outlet, that makes no sense

Comment

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=25102

something like this?
                  Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                  You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Yup, it's not that they don't make them, it's just that you will have an incredibly difficult time finding one (at a reasonable price too once you do find it)

Like we said, 2.5" is not a very common size in plumbing.

Comment

I pull out a fair amount of homemade ceder plugs around here in Cast Iron.
                      Old timers would just make a wedged shape piece of ceder and hammer it in.

Sounds crazy but in all honesty I've never really seen one that didn't do just as good if not better then an expanding plug, brass cap, or a lead fit all.

I use to think it was a funny backwoods hack way of plugging a clean out but now I'm beginning to wonder.

They last a heck of a lot longer then an expanding plug.

They can Handel head pressure just as well as a brass cap but actually come out with little effort.
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Working...
                      X