X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tee or wye?

anybody can summarize when we should use tee and when we should use wye for drainage?

Re: tee or wye?

If it is laying on its side you should always use a wye. If it is ahorizontal run a tee should only catch pipes above it, never coming into the side. If it is a vertical run then a tee will work fine for pipes coming in horizontally. Check your local codes

Comment

Originally posted by rynei View Post
      if it is laying on its side you should always use a wye. If it is ahorizontal run a tee should only catch pipes above it, never coming into the side. If it is a vertical run then a tee will work fine for pipes coming in horizontally. Check your local codes
      if i understand correctly i would disagree a tee should only be used in a vertical position in a drain line ,a vent line either way is fine
      a wye should be used on the horizontal or flat position

Comment

Originally posted by 59 WAGON MAN View Post
        if i understand correctly i would disagree a tee should only be used in a vertical position in a drain line ,a vent line either way is fine
        a wye should be used on the horizontal or flat position
        Right...a tee is only used in a "standing up" position....a wye is good to lack on its back and its side and standing up...
        Unless its a vent tee...
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

I'm not an expert on ipc but I am on local codes here which are based on ipc and a tee laying on its back always passes here and i work in some areas with some pretty good inspectors. It virtually has the same bend as a 90 so what would be the difference? If you can catch something from above with a 90 then why not a tee? A combo or wye with a 45 would be better but also would hang lower as well and sometimes you don't have room.

Comment

I'm not an expert on ipc but I am on local codes here which are based on ipc and a tee laying on its back always passes here and i work in some areas with some pretty good inspectors. It virtually has the same bend as a 90 so what would be the difference? If you can catch something from above with a 90 then why not a tee? A combo or wye with a 45 would be better but also would hang lower as well and sometimes you don't have room.
            If you lay a tee on its back or side here, you will be taking it out...its not the same because in a tee the waste can go backwards and then sit and harden thus creating a clog, with a wye and a 45 stuck in it, then its forced to keep moving...if you give waste or water a choice in drainage it will always create problems at some point...

Derek

Comment

I tee used on its back would direct the flow just like a wye with a 45 or a combo would. It would not let the flow go the wrong way unless it was a cleanout tee or it was backfalling. When it comes through the bend it would fall in the exact same fashion as it would if you were using a wye.

Comment

I tee used on its back would direct the flow just like a wye with a 45 or a combo would. It would not let the flow go the wrong way unless it was a cleanout tee or it was backfalling. When it comes through the bend it would fall in the exact same fashion as it would if you were using a wye.
                Then why does code not allow a tee on its back or side?

Derek

Comment

I will see about checking out the international code, i already stated that i don't know if it is in there or not. But local inspectors do and have always allowed a tee on its back. Not on its side for sure and that is because the bend is too tight, just like a 90, so thats a no-brainer. The majority of my work is done in St Charles county in the northern St Louis area and their codes are pretty strict there as compared to surrounding areas so i would imagine that if it was against international code that it would be against their codes as well.

Comment

check fittings for change in direction, my 09 book is at the office, but it's table 706.3 in the 06 book.

sanitary tee is only legal for flow from horizontal to vertical.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                      check fittings for change in direction, my 09 book is at the office, but it's table 706.3 in the 06 book.

sanitary tee is only legal for flow from horizontal to vertical.

Thanks, I was just looking it up and trying to take a pic of it..That's Spot On Sir!!!

Derek

Comment

Here it is...
                        Attached Files

Derek

Comment

Ok well that solves it, I don't agree with the code but i will take that into account from now on.

Comment

what drives me nuts is that short sweep is listed for vertical to horizontal with the addendum that it's legal for 2 inch and smaller, and three inches and larger separately. kind of makes my head hurt.
                            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Well I never did say I agree with it...I don't like double wyes laying in a total horizontal position...The only reason I knew about the tee vs wye was because I got nailed for it many moons ago and its like wtf...so I had to cut it out and redo...

Derek

Comment

Working...
                              X