Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

bathtub is clogged, sink makes burping sound..

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bathtub is clogged, sink makes burping sound..

but the toilet is ok. this bathroom is on the third floor. i've tried with a plunger, a 4m snake.. please, help me if you can. thanks in advance!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYie9f5Zoi4 also please forgive my ignorance in this video. thanks

Re: bathtub is clogged, sink makes burping sound..

Well done video!

Clog beyond the bathtub?
    Can you use a longer snake?
    Or snake upstream from another location?
    Or insert snake down the roof vent?
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

That looks and acts like a Buried drum trap. Have fun
      Jam a rag in the sink drain and over flow pop it with an air RAM.
      Stat at around 15 psi
      Rod
      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
      http://unclognh.com
      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Well done video!
        hahaha! i shot that with a small canon camera.. thanks for taking the time to watch it.

Clog beyond the bathtub?
        i'm not a plumber, so i can not confirm that, but the toilet, at the right of the sink, is ok.

Can you use a longer snake?
        thank you for your advice. i just came back from hd, & asking lots of questions to the salesmen, with a 25' ridgid snake..

Or snake upstream from another location?
        there are only 2 sinks in the apartment (1 in the toilet and another one in the kitchen), 1 bathtub & the toilet.. the kitchen sink is ok.. you mean i must snake from the.. toilet?

Or insert snake down the roof vent?
        thanks for the advice! do you think my new 25' snake will do, please?

please take a look at this picture: is this the roof vent? thanks
        http://img807.imageshack.us/img807/4990/roofvent.jpg

thank you robert gift for your time, advices!
        Last edited by 2004; 04-12-2011, 08:08 PM. Reason: add picture

Comment

That looks and acts like a Buried drum trap.
          thank you unclognh for your advice. please i'm new at plumbing.. i googled 'buried drum trap'.. but i would like to hear explanations from you more about it please .. if you have the time? thanks

Have fun
          oh no! i'm having big headaches right now!

thank you again for your advice. i understood the first part, but please what is an 'air ram'? thanks

Stat at around 15 psi
          ok, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by 2004 View Post
            That looks and acts like a Buried drum trap.
            thank you unclognh for your advice. please i'm new at plumbing.. i googled 'buried drum trap'.. but i would like to hear explanations from you more about it please .. if you have the time? thanks

Have fun
            oh no! i'm having big headaches right now!

thank you again for your advice. i understood the first part, but please what is an 'air ram'? thanks

Stat at around 15 psi
            ok, thank you.
            I have a drum trap in my bathroom and when I plunged it looked exactly like that. I am guessing all that crud is sediment from the trap.

Comment

Put a wet rag in the overflow while you are plunging the tub drain..Slam it with some authority..You might get wet but so what
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                Put a wet rag in the overflow while you are plunging the tub drain..Slam it with some authority..You might get wet but so what
                Don't forget to get somebody to plug the drain and overflow on the lavatory....
                Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                  Don't forget to get somebody to plug the drain and overflow on the lavatory....
                  Why ruin all the fun and surprise?

I make a good plumBob but am not a plumber.

I would not go through the toilet. Its 3-inch line is probably clear.
                  If not, some of the slug of water from flushing the toilet would probably come up through the bathtub drain.

25 feet should be more than enough to reach a clog in a bathtub and vanity drain. But maybe there is.omething unusual and the line is long.

WEDNESDAY: Just saw your roof vent.
                  Do they use that to cover the soil pipe (the vertical plumbing pipe, "stack" usually a 3-inch or 2-inch or 1-1/2-inch plumbing pipe) to protect it from being covered with snow?
                  Since it is so easy to reach, I would snake down the 2-inch or 1-1/2 plumbing vent pipe right above the bathroom with the problem.
                  Last edited by Robert Gift; 04-13-2011, 07:27 AM.
                  I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                  It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                  "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Assuming the toilet is next to the pedestal and the tub and pedestal drain into that toilet's soil stack.... the clog is between the pedestal and the toilet. Try running the snake through the pedestal drain a few times. You shouldn't have to go far just a few feet ought to do it.

It's also possible (but less likely) that the toilet and pedestal have their own waste stack in which case, if you're on the third floor could go all the way to the basement. I have no idea the layout.

Good luck to you sir!
                    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

solved , thanks!: bathtub is clogged, sink makes burping sound..

JJJAAAMMM: I have a drum trap in my bathroom and when I plunged it looked exactly like that. I am guessing all that crud is sediment from the trap. - thank you, jjjaaammm!

OLD1: Put a wet rag in the overflow while you are plunging the tub drain..Slam it with some authority..You might get wet but so what. - thank you old1!

dcman: Don't forget to get somebody to plug the drain and overflow on the lavatory.... - thank you dcman!

robert gift: Why ruin all the fun and surprise?

I make a good plumBob but am not a plumber.

I would not go through the toilet. Its 3-inch line is probably clear.
                      If not, some of the slug of water from flushing the toilet would probably come up through the bathtub drain.

25 feet should be more than enough to reach a clog in a bathtub and vanity drain. But maybe there is.omething unusual and the line is long.

WEDNESDAY:
                      Just saw your roof vent.
                      Do they use that to cover the soil pipe (the vertical plumbing pipe, "stack" usually a 3-inch or 2-inch or 1-1/2-inch plumbing pipe) to protect it from being covered with snow?
                      Since it is so easy to reach, I would snake down the 2-inch or 1-1/2 plumbing vent pipe right above the bathroom with the problem
                      - thank you, robert gift!

geno gardner:
                      Assuming the toilet is next to the pedestal and the tub and pedestal drain into that toilet's soil stack.... the clog is between the pedestal and the toilet. Try running the snake through the pedestal drain a few times. You shouldn't have to go far just a few feet ought to do it.

It's also possible (but less likely) that the toilet and pedestal have their own waste stack in which case, if you're on the third floor could go all the way to the basement. I have no idea the layout.

Good luck to you sir!
                      - thank you geno gardner!

thank you to you all very much for coming here to advise me! i'm sorry for this late response: i've been very busy.. thank you for your understanding.

good news: my problem has been solved!
                      i have been a very very stupid guy! i just didn't follow many great instructions given by plumbing teachers on yt.. i stupidly just .. inserted the snake in the drain and removed it, etc! that's why my bathtub remained clogged!

and then i went out 2-3 days ago to buy a new snake, a 25' rigid.. reading advices posted here.. i will never thank you to you guys for your advices & encouragements and knowing that there were people behind me, and i was not alone with my problems.. it really boosted my confidence! i am still new to plumbing, so i was very anxious & was in doubt that i could unclog this drain myself.. robergift: you were right, the 25' snake did help.. i used up to 24'! this time i ROTATED the snake, and it made the difference!

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3668/img0384ad.jpg
                      http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4952/img0387f.jpg

thank you again to you all.. please forgive my bad english

Comment

To the pros: I am guessing he does not in fact have a drum trap if he was able to snake from the tub? It would have hit the trap and most likely stopped, no?

Just curious.

Comment

Seems logical....yes more than likely....but not necessarily...
                          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Working...
                          X