X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water heater fittings leaking

Good day all. Just installed a replacement electric water heater. Upon installing the nipples on the cold and hot sides, applying pressure on the system after letting the excess air out, there is a leak on both fittings. I've tried using tape and also the liquid sealant on the fittings, but it still leaks.

The manuf. claims it is pipe thread on the water heater, but I'm thinking it might be straight thread. Any thoughts? When it leaks the water appears to come from the same side each time, small pockets or holes where the water bubbles through. I can see it come right through the excess sealant that lies around the perimeter of the fittings.

Haven't even hooked up the electrical side yet, bought it 6 hours ago. It shouldn't be this difficult!

Re: Water heater fittings leaking

Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

I would love to provide pictures, but alas I've decided to drain the 40 gallons and return this water heater to the store. They told me they'll exchange it no problem. Just a pain to drain and pull up the stairs from the basement.

Comment

Now that does suck..probably the dielectric nipples weren't tight enough from the factory..But you should have been able to tighten those when you were tightening the new adapters onto the heater ..What big box store sold you that gem? I take it there was no soldering done on this installation that would have overheated the nipples and thread seals Make and model please ..Thanks
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I had purchase this Whirlpool from Lowes, model number E2F40RD045V.

Just returned from the store with a new one. Also purchased brass fittings with hoses attached. Installed it, filled up, pressurized and no leaks. Yeah!!

The water heater itself came with nothing, other than the paperwork, which was a bit vague.

Comment

The whirlpools don't come with dielectric nipples anymore. The newer models have the honeywell gas valve, which i'm interested to see how it works out.
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by andydg View Post
              I had purchase this Whirlpool from Lowes, model number E2F40RD045V.

Just returned from the store with a new one. Also purchased brass fittings with hoses attached. Installed it, filled up, pressurized and no leaks. Yeah!!

The water heater itself came with nothing, other than the paperwork, which was a bit vague.
              Well there's your problem is a freaking Whirlpool....
              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

I would rather be horse whipped than install a whirlpool HWH in one of my properties. Any idiot that would design a gas valve with a left handed thermocouple is just out to lock you into their product line. Just my opinion, but I have finally replaced the ones that were in the duplex that I just bought.

Comment

buckwheat, I agree on the whirlpools, Hate them. but the left hand TC is no longer part of the product, and they've switched to a gas valve very similar to what Bradford White is using on their heaters.

Whirlpool is produced by state/aosmith which i'm not a fan of either.
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                  X