X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Galvy to Copper RE-pipes in Crawlers

Am I in the Minority using L instead of M ? How much pre fab are You doing out side ? I also like selling a decent outside access door , and at least one light with switch,just inside door. When all You have is a closet lift out panel, it's too difficult! My selling point on this this is a decent termite inspection in the future.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Old Galvy to Copper RE-pipes in Crawlers

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    Am I in the Minority using L instead of M ? How much pre fab are You doing out side ? I also like selling a decent outside access door , and at least one light with switch,just inside door. When all You have is a closet lift out panel, it's too difficult! My selling point on this this is a decent termite inspection in the future.
    I use to do those but now its pex. Crawl spaces and attics are my specialty.....fat people hate both. I've done alot of repipes with copper but not in the past 20 years. In New orleans thats all we used was coppa and it was 100% crawlspaces.

Comment

haven't done a repipe in a crawl space in a good 10 years. but all i ever used was type l copper. use to drill out and drop risers from above down to the crawl space and mark my hot and cold. then i would have something to shoot for.

if i were to ever think about getting back into crawl space repipes. then it would be 100% pex not just for cost, but i honestly feel it's a better product, especially with a hot water circ system. and to make it clean and easy, i would use 20' straight sticks.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

The crawlspaces in New Orleans were 3'+ most of the time.....we buried most of it and made individual risers for each fixture and insulated the risers. We would leave the galvy in the walls and drill through the floor under each fixture.

I dont miss that work.....the plumbing was easy but working around all the crap stacked under the houses is what was bad. Everything from car parts to old dope needles.

Comment

Thanks Rick, and master . Will talk to this town inspector tomorrow
          to see if He or She has a problem with Pex. Tool
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            haven't done a repipe in a crawl space in a good 10 years. but all i ever used was type l copper. use to drill out and drop risers from above down to the crawl space and mark my hot and cold. then i would have something to shoot for.

if i were to ever think about getting back into crawl space repipes. then it would be 100% pex not just for cost, but i honestly feel it's a better product, especially with a hot water circ system. and to make it clean and easy, i would use 20' straight sticks.

rick.

They make "straight sticks" of pex? are we talking like rigid tube (like difference between soft copper (K) for underground and rigid tubing for above ground?

Sorry for the ignorance. Illinois only recently allowed pex and most towns in my area do not allow it. Heck, Chicago still requires lead and oakum joints on Cast Iron (commercial, pvc allowed residential 3 story or less).

There is still a lot of skepticism about pex here. Home Depot just started carrying it around here, but they have yet to sell any at my local store!

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
              They make "straight sticks" of pex? are we talking like rigid tube (like difference between soft copper (K) for underground and rigid tubing for above ground?

Sorry for the ignorance. Illinois only recently allowed pex and most towns in my area do not allow it. Heck, Chicago still requires lead and oakum joints on Cast Iron (commercial, pvc allowed residential 3 story or less).

There is still a lot of skepticism about pex here. Home Depot just started carrying it around here, but they have yet to sell any at my local store!
              Yes its made in 20' sticks but its not ridgid tube. Thats about the only way I buy it unless I'm installing a long runs with no branch lines and thats not common unless its a water service. For most of the water services i replace I use sch 40 pvc bell end with sch 80 fittings. Keep in mind that our water services are typically 12-18" deep MAX some are 6"

Comment

OK ,Pex is legal here. Assuming I get the job ,and cust. is OK with pex, What's the best brand and what is affordable on the tools ? Thanks again.P.S. , I won't be doing a lot of this ,like all of You.

Comment

Haven't gotten into PEX yet..When a customer needs a repipe I offer 2 choices "L" copper or cpvc..But I am not against PEX just haven't installed any...I will NEVER install "M" copper other than heat work .The walls are too thin and it just doesn't last..my .02
                  ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                  X