Rinnai 94sle tankless

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rinnai 94sle tankless

I installed a Rinnai 9.4 gpm exterior unit and the wired remote control model # BC-100V-1W. This remote allows you to use a bath fill function. You can preset the gallons that the rinnai will run and push the bath fill button and a voice prompt tells you to open the hot water faucet and then after the preset amount of water is ran through the rinnai the water will shut off. Problem is that I was told by Rinnai that this amount would be within .5 gal. of what I set it to be.....and its not. I can set it for 55 gal and it only runs 50 gal before it shuts down.

While the unit is firing I'm getting 5.6-5.8 gpm and a temp set at 120 degress(max temp for the bath fill feature use) with an actual temp reading of 119-122 degrees.

Anyone know why the gallons are off by like 10% under setting?

Re: Rinnai 94sle tankless

I have ever seen a flow sensor from any manufacturer to be spot on. Typically 5-10% off on .5-3 gpm average draws is no big deal and the temp thermistors work in conjunction with the flow sensor so the unit fires fine. Perhaps at the higher flows of the tub filler results in the difference. How do you know it's 5 gallons off? Is it a jetted tub and the missing water is in the pump and piping?

Comment

Originally posted by Lee H View Post
      I have ever seen a flow sensor from any manufacturer to be spot on. Typically 5-10% off on .5-3 gpm average draws is no big deal and the temp thermistors work in conjunction with the flow sensor so the unit fires fine. Perhaps at the higher flows of the tub filler results in the difference. How do you know it's 5 gallons off? Is it a jetted tub and the missing water is in the pump and piping?
      We are not filling a bathtub....we are trying to fill a 55 gal drum and its coming up 5 gal short. The bigger the drum the more its off. I was assured it would be within a 1/2 gal of what I set it to be because thats how the rinnai works.....it knows how much water is being heated. My water pressure is constant and I have a pressure gauge installed to confirm that.

My temp is running between 119-122 with a setting of 120 degrees and the GPM is running at 5.6-5.9.

I think tech support misrepresented the product when I called about what I was planning to use the bath fill feature for.

The drums are marked with a scale to show gallons......we also used a 5 gal. bucket marked with a sharpie after we filled it with five 5 gal jugs. No doubt we are not getting enough volume. Its been triple checked.

Comment

TM, I have not run into your situation but..... I did talk with the rep yesterday and it looks like Lee may have hit on the problem. Apparently there can be some slop in the flow sensor. What's the incoming pressure and does it hold steady? I.E. is this on a private well or city water?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          TM, I have not run into your situation but..... I did talk with the rep yesterday and it looks like Lee may have hit on the problem. Apparently there can be some slop in the flow sensor. What's the incoming pressure and does it hold steady? I.E. is this on a private well or city water?
          Yes its on city water and I have a pressure gauge in the line just before the tankless...as i was making the draw I was watching the GPM of the unit fluctuate between like 5.6 and 5.9 gpm of actual flow and at the same time watching the pressure gauge....the gauge held steady at 45 psi during flow.

I think its just slop and thats a bummer. I realize i'm not using the product for what it was designed to do exactly but i was assured it would work fine. I think the best thing to do at this point is to just install the owners metering device and cut my loss. Customer understands this was unconventional from the start and I warned before I did the job that I had never used the rinnai and the bath feature as we are going to use it but was assured by rinai it was very accurate.

Comment

Working...
          X