Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

? TracPipe (yellow CSST) vs. FletchKote (green epoxyed pipe)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? TracPipe (yellow CSST) vs. FletchKote (green epoxyed pipe)

Was: ?TracPipe (yellow CSST) vs. FletchKote (green epoxyed pipe)

Our 10 year old beachfront house on the water near L.A. has significant corrosion (bubbling, thinning, and bulging) of the gas pipes that run on the underside of the house and are exposed to salt water spray. The piping is currently coated (Scotchkote? painted on?), but some of it is thin and/or wasn’t wrapped where the coating was nicked or abraded during installation, and that’s where the corrosion is. The part that runs through the foundation is sheathed in a PVC conduit, and none of it is in contact with the ground, but its very exposed to salty mist.

I have proposals from two well recommended licensed plumbers for replacing the exterior gas lines. (the risers and inside lines are black pipe, and seem to be OK.). One proposal is for 1.5 in Omegaflex TracPipe (yellow coated CSST) (with bonding clamp, of course) with connection to existing risers; the other proposal is for 2 in. Fletchkote (green epoxy coated iron pipe) with wrapped galvanized fittings, and tied into existing risers.

The CSST proposal is about 20% higher than the Fletchkote, but I’m mostly concerned with safety and future corrosion prevention.

Which should I get?

Also, any suggestions for particular specs I should insist on (other than the bonding for the CSST and primer+ wrapping for the Fletchkote at fittings and any abrasions during installation.) would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your advice.

Ken
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kdk1; 04-21-2011, 08:20 PM. Reason: better title for question.

Re: ? TracPipe (yellow CSST) vs. FletchKote (green epoxyed pipe)

For that environment I would go with the properly bonded TracPipe but would use the PS-II. (Pre-sleeved CSST)

Comment

Working...
    X