X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to detach the vent from the drain

I want to detach the vent from the drain. I know I can cut it but it will be better if i can avoid brute cut.
    Attached Files

Re: how to detach the vent from the drain

Why do u want to remove the vent ? If u r trying to change to PVC or abs just cut with sawzaw using a bimetallic blade, very easy to do . Reconnect with a no hub band. It's easier to cut then try to take mechanical joints apart that r old.
    The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Cut at the vertical then at horizontal, then unscrew 90, the are many options for this depending on what u r trying to accomplish.
      The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Originally posted by Fred the plumber View Post
        Why do u want to remove the vent ? .
        I am moving the drain to another place. so the vent need to redo as well.

Comment

Cut any place on galvanized leaving enough to go in your nu hub band on one side and transition over to plastic , one end will go on metal and one end plastic. U can do it, it's easy .
          The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Cast Iron is easy to cut with sawzaw also. Start cut with sawzaw blade with cast iron as soon as u get into the hollow switch to a brand new bi metal blade, will cut through like butter. When u reach the end of other side u can switch back to cast iron blade or continue with metal. It's a piece of cake. Again use no hub band to attach to cast iron on one side then platic on other. Hope this helps.
            The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

There really is no other choice then to make at least one cut somewhere. Like Fred said, it's not worth the effort of trying to separate those joints. Metal that old tends to be seized together and you'll probably end up shearing the threaded portion of pipe where it comes out of the elbow rather than getting it apart.
              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Working...
              X