Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Are power vent w.hrs. Takin over the east coast Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Are power vent w.hrs. Takin over the east coast

    Seems like anything with a full basement uses them back there now.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

  • #2
    Re: Are power vent w.hrs. Takin over the east coast

    I work in Maryland and don't find that to be true here. Power Vent heaters are installed in just about all new homes, that I agree with. I put a lot of water heaters in and most people stick with what they already have in place. The reason I say this is the cost. If they have electric they put electric back. If they have a natural gas water heater with 3 inch metal bvent venting into a masonry chimney that's what they put in. It's all about money. Tankless water heaters are much to expensive and you do not save money until it's in your house for twenty years, that is if it lasts that long. They have their purposes but people really don't have all the facts and once u give them the price they are fine with what they had. My final thought is the majority of people in Maryland stick with what they have. That's my opininon.
    The Plumber/Firefighter

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Are power vent w.hrs. Takin over the east coast

      Originally posted by Fred the plumber View Post
      I work in Maryland and don't find that to be true here. Power Vent heaters are installed in just about all new homes, that I agree with. I put a lot of water heaters in and most people stick with what they already have in place. The reason I say this is the cost. If they have electric they put electric back. If they have a natural gas water heater with 3 inch metal bvent venting into a masonry chimney that's what they put in. It's all about money. Tankless water heaters are much to expensive and you do not save money until it's in your house for twenty years, that is if it lasts that long. They have their purposes but people really don't have all the facts and once u give them the price they are fine with what they had. My final thought is the majority of people in Maryland stick with what they have. That's my opininon.
      Moonlighting Battalion Chief? In a big city? Why?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Are power vent w.hrs. Takin over the east coast

        Started out in plumbing first, my first love. 2 kids in college at 75,000 a year and we work long hours but get a lot of time off. Politics has gotten bad and plumbing is much more relaxing most of the time. Most firefighters work 2nd jobs also. I love to work . Wife was stay at home mom also , this made it tough on one income .
        The Plumber/Firefighter

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Are power vent w.hrs. Takin over the east coast

          Originally posted by Lee H View Post
          Moonlighting Battalion Chief? In a big city? Why?
          A Man with his hand out today, never explains. And a Guy bustin His A$$ Needs too ? I think not !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Are power vent w.hrs. Takin over the east coast

            I lived and built on Cape Cod [ Mass.] 1970s . We all had hydronic heat with a tankless on the boiler for domestic water. Daughter #1 in Mass. has both the boiler and a power vent W,H.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Are power vent w.hrs. Takin over the east coast

              True, there are a lot of the summer winter hot water systems on boilers in Baltimore area. I forgot about them . I like hydronic heat .
              The Plumber/Firefighter

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Are power vent w.hrs. Takin over the east coast

                I love seeing hearing what other places do. I am sure there is some neat plumbing all over US that I would find better and say, why don't we do this ?
                The Plumber/Firefighter

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Are power vent w.hrs. Takin over the east coast

                  Originally posted by Fred the plumber View Post
                  I love seeing hearing what other places do. I am sure there is some neat plumbing all over US that I would find better and say, why don't we do this ?
                  A Cape Cod Plumber Left for Seattle years ago. He started doing Geo
                  with Radiant for homes. 2 or 3 wells 300 ft. deep and there's Your heat. Now only large schools and comm. Jobs.He stole Daughter #3.
                  Gave Me 2 handsome grandsons. Life is Grand.
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Are power vent w.hrs. Takin over the east coast

                    We have some geo around in some of the new houses for the ones who can afford, another great system .That's awesome. Life is good ! It's all about the family .
                    The Plumber/Firefighter

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Are power vent w.hrs. Takin over the east coast

                      Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      Seems like anything with a full basement uses them back there now.
                      Only in New Construction. It's much cheaper for the builder to exclude a masonry chimney in the new homes today, so they put that responsibility squarely on the Plumber.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Are power vent w.hrs. Takin over the east coast

                        Part of the reason you are seeing them is because inspectors are beginning to take chimney requirements very serious now and the cost of lining a chimney is more than power venting the unit is.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Are power vent w.hrs. Takin over the east coast

                          Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          Part of the reason you are seeing them is because inspectors are beginning to take chimney requirements very serious now and the cost of lining a chimney is more than power venting the unit is.
                          No doubt. Here its not the inspectors its the gas provider same difference kinda and actually better. The gas company will turn the gas off and lock the meter until a venting violation is corrected. At one time they were just red tagging the appliance and would give the owner a certain period of time to correct the issue and that time period would vary depending on what was wrong....or on major violations like no vent at all they will immediately turn the appliance off and cap it in the winter or in the summer they will just turn the meter off and lock it. They dont want to be accused of turning all the gas off to a home and a guy freezing to death becuse he had no heat because they turned all his gas off due to a water heater problem or a stove. After the problem is corrected they will come back out and inspect and turn the gas back on and check the system for leaks by watching the 1/4 or 1/2 cu ft dials on the meter for 15 or 30 min. depending on what dial is on that particular meter 1/4 ft or 1/2 ft.

                          At one time the gas company would leave the gas on when they detected small leaks.....if the leak was under 1/4 ft per hour they would leave it on and give the owner a few days to get it repaired and then call them back to check it. Not anymore...if it leaks when they check the dial...any amount it gets turned off and locked.

                          leaks around gas pressure regulators detected with electronc gas detecting equipment are acceptable unless they are detectable with a gas leak detector solution and if they are detectable with the solution they consider that a "leak" and it must be repaired/replaced.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X