X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump Pump Weep Hole Location

Ok, everywhere I look it tells me to make sure I drill a weep hole between the sump pump discharge and the check valve (usually 1/8"), but I see many discrepancies about if it should be above or below the water level.

My pump is about 6" below the water level 365 days a year (high water table). The check valve is about 4' above the water level. Obviously the weep hole must be within the sump or it would spray all over the place when the pump is in operation.

What's the consensus - weep hole above the water level, below the water level, or it doesn't matter? Thanks.

Re: Sump Pump Weep Hole Location

The hole is 3/16", not 1/8" and it is supposed to be drilled within 6" of the discharge port of the pump.

It's to prevent air lock when the pump can overpump the pit, leaving air in the impeller chamber before leading to the next cycle.

All submersible pumps are under this recommendation so the pump will perform, removing all possibilities of an impeller spinning in a bubble of air, not having the force to push open the check valve and remove the water.

You want it below the level of water where the point of which the switch engages to come on. Drill the hole in a angle 45 degrees downward and point the hole away from the pump.

When you hear the pump shut off, you'll hear this cavity of water fill inside the pit through that hole, flooding the impeller area to provide the correct function for the next cycle.
    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 04-22-2011, 03:38 PM.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I usually have my check valve with in a foot of the pump...I don't think there is a set level other than to be container within your pit...why is the check 4 foot high?
      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
        I usually have my check valve with in a foot of the pump...I don't think there is a set level other than to be container within your pit...why is the check 4 foot high?

There can be numerous reasons, I sometimes will put them outside the pit if the existing was the same in design. But, I'd rather one leak/break in the pit, not out.

On the hose clamp/rubber boot type, I've yet to find a clamp that the worm gear and band is 100% GOOD stainless, the kind you can say it will last indefinitely without rust or corrosion a part of the equation.

I still do not trust those compression type with the rubber ferrule and nut; seen a lot of them where the nut loosened or cracked, arriving at a home with water shooting up to the ceiling.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
          There can be numerous reasons, I sometimes will put them outside the pit if the existing was the same in design. But, I'd rather one leak/break in the pit, not out.

On the hose clamp/rubber boot type, I've yet to find a clamp that the worm gear and band is 100% GOOD stainless, the kind you can say it will last indefinitely without rust or corrosion a part of the equation.

I still do not trust those compression type with the rubber ferrule and nut; seen a lot of them where the nut loosened or cracked, arriving at a home with water shooting up to the ceiling.
          Well yea, on a septic pump system we usually put a second check in the ground horizontal outside the pit...Its all a kinda of catch with those bands and with the dresser style...sweet!!
          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Dunbar is absolutely right with his first post. I built my own house. My sump pump was a submersible and I fogot to do this. It air locked ! I never forgot again. LOL
            The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Go with a LARGE Pit ,or You'll be cycling to often. Using P.T. Plywood two screen door handles, fender washers and 2" ridgid foam insulation Make a quiet cover. 18" dia cans suck, go 30"
              plastic culvert. Good luck
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                Go with a LARGE Pit ,or You'll be cycling to often. Using P.T. Plywood two screen door handles, fender washers and 2" ridgid foam insulation Make a quiet cover. 18" dia cans suck, go 30"
                plastic culvert. Good luck

Click image for larger version

Name:	495773f4a2795083fea8c8088e7f4aa4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	13547

Tool I'm the only guy using these in my area. Got 4 of them waiting for me at the supply house monday to purchase. It's the best switch I've used in applications relating to sump pumps, as I can adjust the leve at where it pulls the largest amount of water from the water table.

It's basically the same design as a pedestal sump pump in regards to the switch. I would not recommend a pedestal sump pump though.

I tell customers that it will be the last pump they install in their pit knowing the switch normally is the only true wearable part that makes them nonfunctional.

Comment

Thanks Dunbar. I have a customer with a serious seasonal high water problem. Full basement, drain tile sump pit. and a Hydromatic submersible pump. She needs the best EXPENSIVE PUMP, and in My opinion has it. I did the custom soundproof cover , i mentioned. I also set it to pump when the pit was at least 3/4 full. It cut all the constant cycling that kept Her up nights! The pump pros. had it cycling every tea cup entry amount. Poor Gal! Think She wants to Marry Me now !
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	495773f4a2795083fea8c8088e7f4aa4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	13547

Tool I'm the only guy using these in my area. Got 4 of them waiting for me at the supply house monday to purchase. It's the best switch I've used in applications relating to sump pumps, as I can adjust the leve at where it pulls the largest amount of water from the water table.

It's basically the same design as a pedestal sump pump in regards to the switch. I would not recommend a pedestal sump pump though.

I tell customers that it will be the last pump they install in their pit knowing the switch normally is the only true wearable part that makes them nonfunctional.
                    I take it you are using the Zoeller Non-automatic pumps with those? If I could get my supply house to keep those in stock that is what I'd be using too.

To me, Hydromatic and Zoeller are pretty equal in PUMP quality. Hydromatic switches are just easier to replace. I actually like the Hydromatics that have float switches a lot. The diaphragm switches are awful! It's all Ford/Chevy talk IMO. I just wish the non-automatic Zoellers were easier to come by. I prefer the Zoeller design over the hydromatic

Oh, and speaking of pedestal pumps....when I sell one of these pumps, I guarantee that it's the last pump that they will ever buy (the manufacturer guarantees it for 10 years)

http://tramcopump.com/ResidentialDetails.cfm?ProdID=28

I have customers with these pumps installed that are 35+ years old. I replaced a switch on one that was over 50 years old last year! The old electrode switch had gone bad, so I put on a standard Square-D lever switch with float ball.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Why do I think most plumbers in Your area are
                      sump pump savy. Tanks Tool

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                        Oh, and speaking of pedestal pumps....when I sell one of these pumps, I guarantee that it's the last pump that they will ever buy (the manufacturer guarantees it for 10 years)

http://tramcopump.com/ResidentialDetails.cfm?ProdID=28

I have customers with these pumps installed that are 35+ years old. I replaced a switch on one that was over 50 years old last year! The old electrode switch had gone bad, so I put on a standard Square-D lever switch with float ball.
                        The motor appears to be above ground on this model? How loud is it? I have a small center city basement and I would think it would be a bit loud.

But it sounds like it would outlast others as the pump is away from the water.
                        Regards,
                        K. Nezz

Comment

Working...
                        X