Hole saw pilot bits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hole saw pilot bits

I'm looking for pilot bits for a hole saw that will capture the slug.
    Can't afford to lose the slug and near impossible (way to expensive) to get it back if it was lost in the pipe (welded 8" Sch 160 SS).

Anybody know of anything?
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Re: Hole saw pilot bits

hmmm, never saw one, but gives me an idea...

Comment

bob, i'm sure they make the bits you're looking for. but i know that a combo drill, tap bit should also work if you go slow. you might have to grind the tap where the holesaw depth is so it doesn't strip out the threads. then when you go to back it back out, the tap will either thread back on or keep it from falling off.

what size holes are you drilling? what about all the shavings?

have you thought about a hot tapper set up?

are you working on another nuke plant

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Bob, will post this on weld talk,under stainless. I'll report back CAPT.
        SCOTTY TAKE THE HELM !
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

on this page they have "Coupon-Retaining arbors"
          http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/7D25C7E...0Cat%20WEB.pdf
          a previous thread on the subject looks like a lot of good info, on the page,
          http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ht=Coupon+hole

one of the recommended products from the thread above, with "coupon retaining arbors",
          http://www.2lbin.com/pilotdrills.shtml

a poor mans way of possibly making some thing would be to drill your pilot hole first, and then make a arbor pilot out of a bolt (cut the head off) or shaft, and split it with a hack saw a short way from the end, and then spread the tip a tad and even possibly grind a small notch that would catch any coupon/slug on the arbor, and then insert that in the pre drilled arbor hole and drill away,

there is also a few other tips on the page from ridgid thread,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

thanks rick, i'm sure there're out there too, just can't remember who has them. yes, this is a high pressure system, stainless steel and a very heavy casting. Sch 160 would be under an inch, this is just over an inch thick. not much head room for a hot tap rig, only got 14 inches to work with above the pipe. I'm thinking of a vic drill or the Ridgid HC450 with something like a houlgen bit. Can't use a twist bit and plasma cutting is out too. trailings or shavings need to be captured 100%, that's the tough part. The bull of the tee is looking down and wer're wanting to tap into the top or 180 deg from the bull so to speak to make a cross in affect but this would be a 3/4" 6000# Sockolet (needs a 1" hole) for a vent.

Yes it will glow in the dark as I do.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            bob, i'm sure they make the bits you're looking for. but i know that a combo drill, tap bit should also work if you go slow. you might have to grind the tap where the holesaw depth is so it doesn't strip out the threads. then when you go to back it back out, the tap will either thread back on or keep it from falling off.

what size holes are you drilling? what about all the shavings?

have you thought about a hot tapper set up?

are you working on another nuke plant

rick.
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."

Comment

thanks BHD, i'll check out those links. I read the thread from 2009, funny but i don't remember that one when it came up.

No room for the Ridgid RT3422 Tapping Tool, but the pilot bits listed would probably work.

Originally posted by BHD View Post
              on this page they have "Coupon-Retaining arbors"
              http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/7D25C7E...0Cat%20WEB.pdf
              a previous thread on the subject looks like a lot of good info, on the page,
              http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ht=Coupon+hole

one of the recommended products from the thread above, with "coupon retaining arbors",
              http://www.2lbin.com/pilotdrills.shtml

a poor mans way of possibly making some thing would be to drill your pilot hole first, and then make a arbor pilot out of a bolt (cut the head off) or shaft, and split it with a hack saw a short way from the end, and then spread the tip a tad and even possibly grind a small notch that would catch any coupon/slug on the arbor, and then insert that in the pre drilled arbor hole and drill away,

there is also a few other tips on the page from ridgid thread,

Comment

BOB H. ,And anyone else interested on some good advise ,please Head over to the Hobart forum " Weld Talk " Scroll down to stainless.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                X