X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940s Gas piping !

Need to add an E.Quake shut off valve to 1940s circa gas valve and piping. Problem on the house side of the meter it has a 90 bend, No
    threaded tee and goes underground. I need to.cut and hand thread riser. No asphaultum on pipe above ground. Do you think I will have any problems threading this old pipe? Tanks Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: 1940s Gas piping !

If its in good shape you will not have any problems.

Comment

Yeah, should be good to go, just keep it lubed Tool!

If you are using a hand stock, consider using a pair of vise grips to hold back on the pipe.

Otherwise, the Ridgid 600 has a built in pipe guide on it.

Old steel pipe is usually of superior quality to the steel pipe you find today (a lot made overseas)

What size pipe is it?

Comment

tool, if the od is still round and not all rusted/ pitted up, you should be fine.

the key issue is to properly restrain the riser from receiving all the threading torque. an electric threader would be a better choice as it applies the torque on center. a hand threader will be a fight to control the leverage you're applying.

now if this was older water pipe, the odds are against you being successful

just remember my freezer is waiting for the cow. there's 3 mouths to phoebe

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          tool, if the od is still round and not all rusted/ pitted up, you should be fine.

the key issue is to properly restrain the riser from receiving all the threading torque. an electric threader would be a better choice as it applies the torque on center. a hand threader will be a fight to control the leverage you're applying.

now if this was older water pipe, the odds are against you being successful

just remember my freezer is waiting for the cow. there's 3 mouths to phoebe

rick.
          Tap magic, Hand ridgid threader ,and back up wrench.
          Cow on the way.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

rick said: " if the od is still round "

If you can get far enough away from the bend area where the pipe will be deformed somewhat depending on the bending process used you should be fine.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              rick said: " if the od is still round "

If you can get far enough away from the bend area where the pipe will be deformed somewhat depending on the bending process used you should be fine.
              Thanks Bob.the 90 bend is at top coming off at the Meter. I'll install a tee up there for P.G.+E [They need one] Cut and thread will be at the ground level. I need room for the Vert. the E.Quake valve there.

Comment

too bad i can't get the assi cable operated valves anymore. with them, all you do is remove the 90 and they fit right in. no leveling is required. all you do is mount the control box to the wall and it's level.

i still have an 1.25'' one in stock with a 3' cable.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

When torqueing on questionable old pipe use two wrenches as close together as possible at perpendicular points on the pipe,this will help with prevent the "crushing" because you now have the each wrench squeezing pipe bite into each others teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    When torqueing on questionable old pipe use two wrenches as close together as possible at perpendicular points on the pipe,this will help with prevent the "crushing" because you now have the each wrench squeezing pipe bite into each others teeth.
                    Thanks Adam, I value Your experience!

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      Thanks Adam, I value Your experience!
                      And I your friendship.

Going up to Tahoe next couple weeks.Maybe take the long way home
                      Whadya think
                      I'll get a hold of Scott

Maybe I'll bring Rickums "Chunk-O-Beef" back with me.
                      With Phoebe having to eat and all
                      Last edited by drtyhands; 05-01-2011, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        And I your friendship.

Going up to Tahoe next couple weeks.Maybe take the long way home
                        Whadya think
                        I'll get a hold of Scott

Maybe I'll bring Rickums "Chunk-O-Beef" back with me.
                        With Phoebe having to eat and all
                        sounds good give Me info this week please

Comment

Working...
                        X