Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Sump Pump Recommendations?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sump Pump Recommendations?

    I need to install a sump pump system to de-water inner-city row house (20’ x 40’) basement. I get about 5 to 10 gallons of water in the basement during heavy rains. I have to trench inside (I would prefer to stop water prior to it entering the basement) because the basement is below ground level I wouldn't have a place to expel the water.

    I am considering a submersible pump. The reason for choosing a submersible as opposed to a pedestal it the potential of noise in the same basement. I plan on attempting the insulate the cover of the basin to reduce noise.

    I’m looking at the Zoeller Series 98 1/2HP. The pump is cast iron which I think will reduce noise, last and operate better that plastic which can flex over time causign motor malfunctions.

    Any suggestions?

    Does the basin size matter (may basement space is limited) considering the amount of water I get?

    Thank you in advance.

    Regards.
    Last edited by Knezz; 05-01-2011, 08:48 AM.
    Regards,
    K. Nezz

  • #2
    Re: Sump Pump Recommendations?

    Zoeller or Liberty
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Sump Pump Recommendations?

      Hydromatic is another great one . Make sure roof drainage is not dumping close to build. ! Grade at building should be pitched 2%
      away to run off water. Soils Engs. have us compact 6" of clay soil
      before finished grade is set. this one step is an AWESOME WATER STOP! Also pitch this clay 2%. good luck Tool
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Sump Pump Recommendations?

        1/2 hp is probably overkill for your needs.

        The Zoeller M53 (.3 hp) is the industry standard. I prefer the non-automatic model with piggyback switch.


        Hydromatic makes a better pump, but stay away from the diaphragm switches if possible.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Sump Pump Recommendations?

          Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
          1/2 hp is probably overkill for your needs.

          The Zoeller M53 (.3 hp) is the industry standard. I prefer the non-automatic model with piggyback switch.


          Hydromatic makes a better pump, but stay away from the diaphragm switches if possible.
          I never have a problem with the diaphragm switches that Hydromatic makes. Yes they had a bad batch at one time when they went to the self-taping screw. But heck even Zoeller had a bad batch at one time.

          To the original poster, horse power has more to do with how much lift the pump has to move the water out. In most cases a 1/3hp pump will do the job as Swade pointed out. But I did find that the current 1/3 hp pumps are not as heavy duty as they used to be. For example Hydromatic makes a D-A-1 which is their standard 1/3hp pump but they also made a OSP-33 which was there heavy duty sump pump. I had a gentleman that used to go through a Zoeller m53 or a D-A-1 every year or two. We put in the OSP-33 and he had gotten over 14 years out of the pump. Sadly Hydromatic no longer makes the OSP-33 but does do a OSP-50 which is a 1/2hp pump which in this case is an over kill, but he likes the idea of it lasting more than a couple years.

          Now if you want a good pump that will last you well over 10 years look into the Tramco upright pump. It comes standard with a 10 year warranty, are very quiet and can deal with some large amounts of water when needed.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Sump Pump Recommendations?

            Most submersible pumps if the covered is sealed do not make much noise. I like the submersible with the pedestal type float. It is held close to the pump and much easier to install for a homeowner. If you don't buy that one make sure you set the float correctly it can get hung up on side wall of pit, any pipe extending into pit . Hope this helps. .....
            The Plumber/Firefighter

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Sump Pump Recommendations?

              Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
              To the original poster, horse power has more to do with how much lift the pump has to move the water out. In most cases a 1/3hp pump will do the job as Swade pointed out. But I did find that the current 1/3 hp pumps are not as heavy duty as they used to be. For example Hydromatic makes a D-A-1 which is their standard 1/3hp pump but they also made a OSP-33 which was there heavy duty sump pump.
              I have to move the water about 10 feet to an outside drain (about for 90 degree turns. Going with a 1/2hp as opposed to a 1/3hp what difference(s) would I notice?

              Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
              Now if you want a good pump that will last you well over 10 years look into the Tramco upright pump. It comes standard with a 10 year warranty, are very quiet and can deal with some large amounts of water when needed.
              I didn't consider the upright because I was fearful of the potential noise. My reading leads me to believe (which makes logical sense to me) upright pumps last longer as everything is above the water lines.

              I was thinking of the submersible as I can insulate/soundproof the lid to reduce the potential noise. My basement is relatively small and sound travels throughout the house... 125+ yr old row house. Am I over concerned with the noise?
              Regards,
              K. Nezz

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Sump Pump Recommendations?

                Originally posted by Fred the plumber View Post
                Most submersible pumps if the covered is sealed do not make much noise. I like the submersible with the pedestal type float. It is held close to the pump and much easier to install for a homeowner. If you don't buy that one make sure you set the float correctly it can get hung up on side wall of pit, any pipe extending into pit . Hope this helps. .....
                If sumersible - I will get the float that goes up and down and not swing out. The floats that swing out are the ones that get caught up if the hole isn't wide enough.

                Correct?
                Regards,
                K. Nezz

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Sump Pump Recommendations?

                  Yes, that is correct. U got it ! I hate the ones that swing but use them if I have to.
                  The Plumber/Firefighter

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Sump Pump Recommendations?

                    They are not that noisy in my opinion but I don't sleep next to one either.
                    The Plumber/Firefighter

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Sump Pump Recommendations?

                      With a 10' lift and four 90ยบ turns in the line you would get better performance from a 1/2 hp pump.

                      There are only a few times I noticed pumps making to much noise. One is vibration and the routing of the pipes. Having them secured to floor joists you will hear the pump run and the check valve close. Most of our pump pits are right next to the outside wall, and if I have to drill through wood to run the discharge outside I like to make the hole a little bigger and seal it where the pipe is not resting on the wood. I prefer to exit through the concrete if it allows for an above ground penetration through the wall.

                      The other time pumps start making noise is when the bearings start to wear out.

                      As for upright pumps, the Tramco is in a league of its own compared to many. It does cost a lot more than a standard submersible pump, but as I pointed out it will last you a long time.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Sump Pump Recommendations?

                        Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        Zoeller or Liberty

                        I use the Liberty 240 and 250 series cast iron sump pumps. I really like how the float fits tight against the pump. Put one in this morning.
                        http://www.libertypumps.com/Products...gory/?s=4&c=14

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Sump Pump Recommendations?

                          Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                          I use the Liberty 240 and 250 series cast iron sump pumps. I really like how the float fits tight against the pump. Put one in this morning.
                          http://www.libertypumps.com/Products...gory/?s=4&c=14
                          We been using the Liberty 257 sump pumps. I too like them a lot. They are well built and have the best warranty out there 2 years from the install date. Unlike Zoeller and Hydromatic is 1 year from install, or 18 months from manufacture date. Which I have ran into some stale dated pumps from the supply houses.
                          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X