Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump Pump can't keep up

Somebody help!

I just finished the basement on my new home (built in 1987). The house is on a small lake and the previous owner told me that the top of the beach wall is even with the floor of the basement. There was no evidence of water in the partially finished basement before we moved in. During basement construction in January and February, the sump pit was dry as a bone. Now with spring upon us, the water level in the sump pit is near the top and none of the pumps I try can keep up. We moved the sump pit to a different place in the basement due to the new configuration and had to re-route the sump drainage pipes. We are on our third pipe location and I think we have it as good as we possibly can get. 9' straight up lift through 1 1/2" PVC, turns a soft 90 into an increased pipe size of 3". The 3" runs through the ceiling for 7' and has a 10" drop before going outside. We turn a hard 90 (sideways) past the foundation and dump into a 4" drain pipe (the black ribbed plastic type). We drop about 4" down over the next 15' before beginning the somewhat steep descent to the lake. The original pump was a very old Zoeller and we attempted to replace it with a 3/10 hp Proflo and the smallest Emergency Watchdog battery back-up. Those two pumps together can't out-pump the water coming in. I put the old Zoeller back in and made a make-shift float bracket to keep the float throw in the upper 1/3 of the pit to avoid working the pump too hard. The water seems to stabilize about 4" from the top of the pit, which happens to be the same level the lake is from the top of the beach wall. I assume that is just where the water table is. It takes the Zoeller nearly 30 minutes to drop that water level down about 4" to the bottom of the float throw and the other pumps can't even do that. Most new pumps have a stationary float mounted near the bottom of the pit, but I don't think any pump can manage the water level that low with the rate of water coming in. The Zoeller is starting to smoke and doesn't appear to be long for this world. I accept that I need to buy yet another pump that can at least keep up with the Zoeller, but should I try to go big with an expensive pump and try to manage the water at a lower level? What pump can handle this volume? Do I just have to accept that the water in my pit will be near the top as long as the lake is this high? And what about finding a battery back-up that can handle this?
    Last edited by Taylor77; 05-01-2011, 09:15 PM.

Re: Sump Pump can't keep up

sump pumps have their limitations . double up for now .You need an engineered solution. Bring in a geotech. Eng.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Taylor,

Video your situation. We need to see how you have the pumps set up before giving you advice.

Tool - Waiting for your osama bin laden impact statement.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Dunbar, Two taps to His Head was enough impact !
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Man, it really is sump pump season isn't it!

1 word, 2 syllables. Tramco. Model 400S. That pump will handle all the water you can throw at it. The price tag is steep though.

www.tramcopump.com

Manufactured in Chicago.

However, I would like to see some pictures of the basement, pit and discharge piping, along with a picture of your house in relationship to the lake.

Have you verified that the piping that the pump discharges through is open and not clogged or partially clogged? Is the pump discharging into a sewer or onto the surface. Again, I think that pictures would GREATLY help us in assisting you.

You may need to go to 2" PVC for the pump discharge and a 2" 1/2 hp pump like the Zoeller 267 at minimum. Though this is a blind judgement.

Comment

Working...
          X