Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do so many not like automatic sump pumps?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do so many not like automatic sump pumps?

As I read through posts on sump pumps I see quite a bit of statements steering away from automatic sump pumps?
    Regards,
    K. Nezz

Re: Why do so many not like automatic sump pumps?

you're probably reading about post from people with certain brands of pumps,

an automatic sump pump is the normal.

i prefer the ones with a plastic float and arm over the diaphragm style switches.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I agree with Rick, the brand is probably what they are not liking.

If the pump were not automatic, it simply wouldn't work.
      Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

And I am on the other side of the coin. I prefer the diaphragm style switches over the ones with the plastic float that triggers an internal switch inside the pump. Hydromatic has been doing the diaphragm switch for many years. Only one time have they had a bad batch, its when they decided to remove the brass ferrule and bot and use a self-tapping screw to secure the switch to the pump. The self-taping screw in some cases caused a hair line crack in the switches casing which allowed water to enter the switch. They have returned to the brass threaded ferrule and a #8 stainless machine screw.

For the last year now I have been selling Liberty pumps since they warranty their pump for 2 years from the date of install. Unlike Zoeller and Hydromatic is one year from the date of install or 18 months from the manufacturer date. I sell the model 257 which uses a similar style switch as the Zoeller. If they used a diaphragm switch like Hydromatic I would be selling that model instead.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I also use the Liberty Pumps. I like the way the float sits tight against the unit. And they are heavy, easy seller.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
            And I am on the other side of the coin. I prefer the diaphragm style switches over the ones with the plastic float that triggers an internal switch inside the pump. Hydromatic has been doing the diaphragm switch for many years. Only one time have they had a bad batch, its when they decided to remove the brass ferrule and bot and use a self-tapping screw to secure the switch to the pump. The self-taping screw in some cases caused a hair line crack in the switches casing which allowed water to enter the switch. They have returned to the brass threaded ferrule and a #8 stainless machine screw.

For the last year now I have been selling Liberty pumps since they warranty their pump for 2 years from the date of install. Unlike Zoeller and Hydromatic is one year from the date of install or 18 months from the manufacturer date. I sell the model 257 which uses a similar style switch as the Zoeller. If they used a diaphragm switch like Hydromatic I would be selling that model instead.
            Ron, I'm still replacing diaphragm switches regularly that are less than 5 years old. I don't often see the problem with the mounting screw that you are referencing. Most of the ones that I replace it's the rubber that has gone bad.

I like piggyback switches (the pump and switch each have a separate plug, the pump plugs into a receptacle on back of the switch plug) the on non-automatic pumps. That is to say that the pump and the switch are separate and can be swapped out. Zoeller is the brand that uses the term "non-automatic" to reference their pumps that do not have the switch wired inline with the pump.

Replacing a switch on a Zoeller M53 or 267 is not terribly complicated, but it's a lot easier to replace a piggyback switch. I also like that float style piggy back switches can be adjusted to run a longer cycle. The longevity of a pump is dictated by the frequency and duration of the cycle. A sump pump that "short cycles" and turns on/off 4 times in 1 hour for 15 seconds each cycle will usually develop problems before a pump that turns on/off 2 or 3 times an hour and runs for 25-30 seconds per hour (be it the switch, the motor or the impeller)

Any pump with a plastic impeller is garbage. Submersible pumps will fail over time by design. The grommet that seals the cord in place to the body of the pump expands and contracts every time the motor heats up, then the liquid cools it back down. Rubber will fail over time.

When people ask me what the best pump for their money is, I tell them to consider this pump: http://tramcopump.com/ResidentialDetails.cfm?ProdID=28

10 year warranty. I have customers that have original Tramco sump pumps still working that are 30+ years old and still outperform any residential submersible.

The price tag is steep, but in most cases it's the last pump they will ever buy. 1 pump, 1 install vs 5-6 pumps, 5-6 installs. I know that I stand to make more by installing submersibles over time, but I get plenty of referrals from the ones that buy the Tramco.

I can also drive 15 minutes and pick one up from the factory though.

Comment

I use mostly Little Giant and I'm pretty happy with it (most of the times)

Comment

Working...
              X