Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Installing a new steel tub... Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Installing a new steel tub...

    Jeez what a pita....I really respect you pros out there.
    First tub I hit with my hammer and chipped it...oops

    So today I noticed the water lines seeping and from the mold it has been for awhile

    fixed
    Drain is a bit high so I need to lower it

    Anyway at this point we are chipping off all the tile on walls because we can't find anymore like it.
    Tub will go in first thing in the morning.
    I'm not a plumber and never claim to be ...just going where I'm sent

  • #2
    Re: Installing a new steel tub...

    Nice Job! The original cpvc work def. looks better than the repair..Looks like someone at one time used a regular compression coupling to do a repair and went copper to cpvc..And looks like they glued the tile directly to plywood ????? You're kidding me right?? Did I miss anything
    Last edited by OLD1; 05-05-2011, 04:24 PM.
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Installing a new steel tub...

      Originally posted by IamVince View Post
      I'm not a plumber and never claim to be
      Glad you clarified that. I woulda never known.
      I thought maybe you were an abortion doctor.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Installing a new steel tub...

        Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
        Glad you clarified that. I woulda never known.
        I thought maybe you were an abortion doctor.
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Installing a new steel tub...

          Here is what I see.

          1. Pvc water pipe inside. Cant do that and wouldn't do that here.
          2. Running trap. Cant do that here or in most places.
          3. How did the overflow connect to the piping you have? Looks like it might not have,leaving you with no cleanout.
          4. Tile on plywood. Bad.
          5. Cpvc for the spout drop. Bad,it can cause the showerhead to run as the tub fills.

          Thats just off the jump by looking at it for 10 seconds.....Goodluck to you sir.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Installing a new steel tub...

            Show me where it says you can't use a running trap. Not a challange here either. I have tried to find where a running trap cannot be used and have not been able to find that paragraph anywhere though I thought for many years that running traps are illegal. Turns out that if they are properly vented they are perfectly legal.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Installing a new steel tub...

              Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              Show me where it says you can't use a running trap. Not a challange here either. I have tried to find where a running trap cannot be used and have not been able to find that paragraph anywhere though I thought for many years that running traps are illegal. Turns out that if they are properly vented they are perfectly legal.
              I'm over proving everything I post. Do as you wish,its not legal here.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Installing a new steel tub...

                We use running traps in such circumstances as getting a trap out of an overhang ...freeze prevention
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Installing a new steel tub...

                  Like I said, lot's of plumbers will tell you that a running trap ain't code, but thus far nobody has ever been able to post the proof and I have had this discussion for at least 6 years now. However, if anybody can steer me to where AI can find that paragraph I would be very interested. Neither the IPC, UPC or Nat Std code prohibit them. Perhaps local ammendments do but again, never seen that either. The big question is why should a running trap be illegal as long as it carries the proper vent? The drain on a handicap lav is basically a running trap isn't it?
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Installing a new steel tub...

                    Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    Like I said, lot's of plumbers will tell you that a running trap ain't code, but thus far nobody has ever been able to post the proof and I have had this discussion for at least 6 years now. However, if anybody can steer me to where AI can find that paragraph I would be very interested. Neither the IPC, UPC or Nat Std code prohibit them. Perhaps local ammendments do but again, never seen that either. The big question is why should a running trap be illegal as long as it carries the proper vent? The drain on a handicap lav is basically a running trap isn't it?


                    TITLE 24 - HOUSING AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT

                    SUBTITLE B - REGULATIONS RELATING TO HOUSING AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT

                    CHAPTER XX - OFFICE OF ASSISTANT SECRETARY FOR HOUSING - FEDERAL HOUSING COMMISSIONER, DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT

                    PART 3280 - MANUFACTURED HOME CONSTRUCTION AND SAFETY STANDARDS

                    subpart g - PLUMBING SYSTEMS

                    3280.606 - Traps and cleanouts.

                    (a) Traps(1) Traps required. Each plumbing fixture, except listed toilets, shall be separately trapped by approved water seal P traps. All traps shall be effectively vented.

                    (2) Dual fixtures. A two-compartment sink, two single sinks, two lavatories, or a single sink and a single lavatory with waste outlets not more than 30 inches apart and in the same room and flood level rims at the same level may be connected to one P trap and may be considered as a single fixture for the purpose of drainage and vent requirements.

                    (3) Prohibited traps. A trap which depends for its seal upon concealed interior partitions shall not be used. Full S traps, bell traps, drum traps, crown-vented traps, and running traps are prohibited. Fixtures shall not be double-trapped.




                    They wont even allow them in trailer homes......

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Installing a new steel tub...

                      Is this not a separate manufactured home code that no plumber uses?

                      Thanks.


                      J.C.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Installing a new steel tub...

                        Vince, there are alot of things wrong in those pictures. Even in the plumbing "corrections". Since the whole thing is torn open, it would be wise to do some more homework, or better yet, hire a good plumber to correct things.


                        J.C.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Installing a new steel tub...

                          It is funny how it says PART 3280 - MANUFACTURED HOME CONSTRUCTION AND SAFETY STANDARDS which is a whole different set of codes from the states standard plumbing codes for non-manufactured homes.

                          Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          Is this not a separate manufactured home code that no plumber uses?

                          Thanks.


                          J.C.
                          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Installing a new steel tub...

                            Yep, I've seen that bit there also, but that ain't IPC, UPC, Nat Std or state and or local ammendments either and I doubt if any state board or local inspector would apply that either. Keep looking I ain't bustin nutz here either fella's, I have been looking for clarification on this one for a long long time so if anyone can find me documentation I would appreciate hell out of it cause we have beat this one around the plumbing board on several occasions with the conclusion that though we may raise an eyebrow, the code does not say no. At least the IPC doesn't
                            Last edited by NHMaster3015; 05-05-2011, 06:33 PM.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Installing a new steel tub...

                              Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                              It is funny how it says PART 3280 - MANUFACTURED HOME CONSTRUCTION AND SAFETY STANDARDS which is a whole different set of codes from the states standard plumbing codes for non-manufactured homes.

                              That's the code book they use for the single wides down south!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X