X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement Roughin, yet again.

Reworking some old clogged cast iron that used to have galv above it. Tying into existing 3" CI with a hubless to ABS. Here are some pictures from both sides. Currently dry fit, not yet glued. From the main line it goes floor drain, riser, W.C., Tub, Riser. The far 3" will dry vent above where the washer attaches. The sinks on both floors will tie in with dry vents on the uphill side and all meet up in the attic (overkill). Once set this will all be bedded in sand prior to re-pouring the slab. I'll be leaving access through the wall for the bath tub connection.

The turn along the wall will catch a washer, will be vented and tied in above as it will be too far down the wall to just wet vent. I'll be adding a clean out on this 3" riser as well. Stub to the right will be for the tub.

First 3" riser. This will catch a utility sink and vanity on this floor and a kitchen sink and vanity on the floor above. Will add a 2" dry vent off the sinks to tie back in, in the attic.

Floor drain to the right, will be catching condensate from a modcon heater.

Have I done okay?

Re: Basement Roughin, yet again.

you don't do half bad work for an electrician. breid

Comment

ABS is funny looking to me. All I ever see is white PVC.

No vent on the floor drain?

The mechanical rubber coupling that you used to go to cast iron, how thick is the rubber?

Around me it would have to be a no-shear fernco coupling (twice as thick as a standard no-hub coupling and has 4 clamps on it). Also most inspectors require an approved transition fitting (commonly referred to as a "no-hub adapter" on PVC. I don't know if such a thing exists for ABS or is required by you.

As a rule I do not install cross fittings or double-sanitary-tees as they may be called. They create problems with maintenance and rodding.

Overall your work looks very clean and professional.
      Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 05-06-2011, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
        you don't do half bad work for an electrician. breid
        I of course worry that this is some sublime sarcasm...... but thanks, I'll take that as it's okay as it stands in your neck of the woods. Any improvement you would suggest or rather seen done?

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
        ABS is funny looking to me. All I ever see is white PVC.

No vent on the floor drain?

The mechanical rubber coupling that you used to go to cast iron, how thick is the rubber?

Around me it would have to be a no-shear fernco coupling (twice as thick as a standard no-hub coupling and has 4 clamps on it). Also most inspectors require an approved transition fitting (commonly referred to as a "no-hub adapter" on PVC. I don't know if such a thing exists for ABS or is required by you.

As a rule I do not install cross fittings or double-sanitary-tees as they may be called. They create problems with maintenance and rodding.

Overall your work looks very clean and professional.
        Not that I really know, but PVC seems to be the less frequently used material here. If there's a better thicker ABS to CI coupling I should get I'll go by a supply house and get it. I can see where the cross fitting could be an issue in longer runs, but each of those will be within a couple of feet of the supplying sink. So I'm guessing there shouldn't be a problem. But it occurs to me.... Should the clean out be above the lines feeding the riser or below them?
        As for the floor drain, I'm under the impression that it will wet vent fine as it is. If I should supply a closer vent, how would you suggest it tie back into the riser vent? Any reason to have it primed if it's getting regular used from the condensate? Any problem letting the condensate just funnel right to it (not splashing on the floor of course)?
        And thanks for the feedback, I'm trying to get it as right as I can......

Comment

I'm impressed, very neat work.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I would probably go with the cleanout above the cross tee..That way you are killing 2 birds with one stone .The sinks will have traps that can be snaked through but it is a cross tee and snakes tend to jump across them..Just my preference.Work layout looks nice.Trap for the condensate should be ok in my opinion should get some upsteam venting from the 3" .If you are worried backvent it if there is room,I wouldn't worry about a trap primer as it will be receiving a constant discharge of condensate like you say.I like the fact you will be running the vent and continuing upstairs for your tie ins..Also I would get a 3" fernco coupling with a shear ring..The shear ring will cost twice as much as the fernco..go figure..it's stainless..Be sure to send some pics of the finished product .Looks like you'll be busy this weekend..Good luck
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll be sure to get a shear ring coupler, and move the cleanout to above the local feeds when the riser gets put together.

Comment

mtne that's a compliment, i'm also a licensed electrician. breid.............

Comment

What's the offset at the end for? Maybe I just don't see the connection at the other end and you had to line it up.

Watch those fitting to fitting connections. They'll get you sometimes.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks breid, means a lot to me. The offset was needed to get into the new wall location which needed to be over a few inches. I've got it backfilled and just about ready for concrete..... Pictures later.

Comment

Why am I the only one who doesnt see correct venting? Wheres the toilet vent? Wheres the shower(?) vent? Floor drain vent? Maybe im not seeing the pictures correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by orcuttal View Post
                        Why am I the only one who doesnt see correct venting? Wheres the toilet vent? Wheres the shower(?) vent? Floor drain vent? Maybe im not seeing the pictures correctly?

California venting requirements are not the same elsewhere. One three inch vent through the roof, 1-1/2" and 2" vents tied into the stack in the attic. I see no problem with it. Heal outlet 90's are not code in this state, can't use them. Not sure about Co.

Comment

The way I understand it, the floor drain would get vent air from the first 3" riser, less than 5' away in 2". Yes? The sinks on the 3" riser will get a seperate 2" dry vents which will carry through to dry vent fixtures above which also drain to the 3" riser, all tied together in the attic before exiting the roof. The W.C. will will pull vent air from technically both 3" risers, yes? Less than 3' from one and 6' from the other in 3". The tub is the same but in 2". The second 3" will only catch one 2" line then dry vent above, tied in to dry vent lines above, tied to the other 3" riser in the attic, and then penetrating the roof.
                          Good?

Comment

Did you already glue that closet flange on?

Comment

Flange is not set, I'll wait until I know the final floor elevation with the mud and tile. I've done this with both the W.C., floor drain, and tub as to verify exact location before final backfill and topcoat of concrete.
                              Last edited by mtne; 05-07-2011, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X