X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banging in open kitchen faucet

I just replaced the kitchen faucet. Whenever I open the faucet, there's a banging right under the sink. I didn't have this with the old faucet (which I had installed about six years ago). It's not water hammer, as it happens when the faucet's open, not closed. And it's localized to the kitchen sink, where there was no banging with the old faucet. I haven't found anything to tell me what produces this banging that would apply to my situation, as the only things these lines are touching are the same things they touched on the old faucet; it's not like they're banging against the wall or something like that. What might be causing this banging?
    Thanks.

Re: Banging in open kitchen faucet

Loose washer or washer came off a stop valve stem.

Comment

Well, the valves do appear to be OEM; significant amounts of corrosion. I think I need to replace some lines and valves, then. Thank you for the exceedingly quick reply.

Comment

also check to make sure the valves/ stops are open all the way.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I thought I'd opened them fully, Rick, but I'll check. I noticed a degree of leaking from the valves when I reopened them.

Comment

the valves have a packing nut just below the handle. open the valves all the way/ counterclockwise, then turn them 1/2 a turn clockwise/ close

tighten the packing nut enough to stop them from leaking at the stem.

if they are plastic stems, they could be wearing due to chlorine/ chloramines in the water affecting the stems. this will also cause the leak from the packing nut.

the newer 1/4 turn ball valves typically don't have these issues.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

If they're leaking and making noise, I'd probably go ahead and replace them....if it was my own home. If it wasn't, then the customer is always right
              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

When you unscrew the sprayer wand thing, and turn the faucet on, do you get flow through the open line?
                If not, just go ahead and replace the stops, sounds like they need it anyways, and while you are down there check to see if there is anything clogging up the supply lines. 9 times out of 10 it is the old stops. Then usually the supply lines, then lastly the clogged sprayer. Never really seen a stopped up faucet but it's possible!

not sure how everyone else does it, but when we replace a faucet of any kind, we relace the stops, unless they are brand new or in excellent condition. To small a step to skip, as it usually leads to callbacks. Old pipes have a habit of clogging things up when you go to banging on them and putting new stuff on.

Comment

Originally posted by kgm View Post
                  I just replaced the kitchen faucet. Whenever I open the faucet, there's a banging right under the sink. I didn't have this with the old faucet (which I had installed about six years ago). It's not water hammer, as it happens when the faucet's open, not closed. And it's localized to the kitchen sink, where there was no banging with the old faucet. I haven't found anything to tell me what produces this banging that would apply to my situation, as the only things these lines are touching are the same things they touched on the old faucet; it's not like they're banging against the wall or something like that. What might be causing this banging?
                  Thanks.
                  Hi! I'm Chris. I'm here to look for a solution to my problem. I keep hearing a banging sound from my water heater. What should I do? What could be the problem or the cause? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X