Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hack Saw or Compound Saw When Cutting PVC?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hack Saw or Compound Saw When Cutting PVC?

I have used a compound saw when cutting schedule 40 and my central vac pipe (which I think is called schedule 20)with great success. Everyone says use a hack saw but I find it's cleaner and quicker to use a compoud saw. Now with the schedule 20 I found that because of it's thinnest I had to be careful (stop the saw before pulling it back up) because it was easy to chip.

Your thoughts?
    Regards,
    K. Nezz

Re: Hack Saw or Compound Saw When Cutting PVC?

If you are are charging the customer hourly and do not have a problem with walking back and forth to a stationary cutting station have fun.
    Any substantial install is bid out against companies paying illegals $60.00 a day.A properly trained hand using a hacksaw with a 18 toothed blade is the fastest,easiest to deburr and most portable for doing all around structure plastic waste.

For faster second floor waste installs the Skillsaw is used,3"and 4" pipe and longer periods of time at a bathroom group justify it.
    Unskilled hands are not allowed to do the same.
    Last edited by drtyhands; 05-08-2011, 11:31 PM.

Comment

When I did spec homes we ran a 3 man crew, I was on the ladder, I had a guy who handed me fittings, and cut my pipe with a miter saw, the other guy set the tubs and ran the pex. Really fast, really efficient. Cutting with a miter saw you don't end up needing to debur and the cut is always straight.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Ironic you ask. I was just checking this out.

http://www.reedmfgco.com/index.html?...raining_videos A little overly explained and wordy video. Some good information though. And his cut looks crooked to me. Could be the angle.

Makes me want to try it sometime. Might be a waste of money for me though as I've already got the tools to do things the traditional way with saws. I've done both ways as drtyhands and MoJourneyman. I prefer the cut-man at a central location doubling as the runner. Put me & whoever else at different spots calling cuts.

"3"x24"x3, 1-1/2"x3"x2, 2"x8'x2 etc. etc. " Waaaaaahahhhhhhhh!!! Cut, cut, cut....

Can't say it's better as drtyhands definitely knows production work better than myself. I think I get the same or better speed and straighter cuts overall. The cuts are as much of a reason as anything else.

J.C.
        Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 05-08-2011, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Use a sawzall with 1" wide blade. I don't even own a hacksaw.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Saw zaw or hack saw unless doing an entire house. If entire house a sawzaw or miter. When I was 21 I could cut a 2x4 faster with my hacksaw then a carpenter could with his power saw. Those days r over. It's a matter of what each individual person prefers.
            The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Originally posted by Fred the plumber View Post
              Saw zaw or hack saw unless doing an entire house. If entire house a sawzaw or miter. When I was 21 I could cut a 2x4 faster with my hacksaw then a carpenter could with his power saw. Those days r over. It's a matter of what each individual person prefers.
              This is truth

Comment

the best cutting portable saw for plastic is actually made for wood. it's a japanese pull saw. it cuts clean, straight, fast and without burrs. use it for abs and pvc for many years without failure. cost $15-20.00 for the saw and replaceable blade.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Skill Saw
                  sigpic

Comment

Always use the cordless Dewalt sawzall with a fine metal cutting blade for pvc, debur with my fingers, blow the crumbs in the corner, arms flying faster than the speed of light! I love my sawzall and I have lot's of batteries!

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      This is truth
                      Remember when we were young, hacksaw was no problem doing house after house after house, didn't even phase you. LOL . As you get older you have to work smarter but it's hard to break old habits.
                      The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Originally posted by Fred the plumber View Post
                        Remember when we were young, hacksaw was no problem doing house after house after house, didn't even phase you. LOL . As you get older you have to work smarter but it's hard to break old habits.

Been using the skillsaw on the second floor joist,hacksaw for vents only(three strokes through) since the eighties.

No way am I as fast.

Comment

Hacksaw with blade installed backwards so it works on the pull not push stroke

Comment

Originally posted by 59 WAGON MAN View Post
                            Hacksaw with blade installed backwards so it works on the pull not push stroke
                            i'm telling you, the japanese pull saw is a dream come true.

you can thank me all the way to the bank.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

On repair jobs I cut pvc with a sawzall or my milwaukee shear typically. On new construction I use a chopsaw with an abrasive blade. The abrasive blade makes factory cuts and can bevel the end for you also. Masons string works too.
                              Rick you talking about the jap saw with the orange handle? Those do cut well. A hacksaw to cut pvc is an option for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X