X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Sump Pump Pit Basins Matter?

As I hone in on all the items needed for my soon to be installled sump pump and french drain system here is one of the final questions??

I was going to buy the pit basin from one of the big box stores (HD) then I thought I should ask...It is a TF-Flotec

"Do Sump Pump Pit Basins Matter?

"18" x 22"
    Regards,
    K. Nezz

Re: Do Sump Pump Pit Basins Matter?

Most builders will just toss in the cheapest and smallest basin they can get away with. In some cases people do not have any troubles with a small diameter basin. But there are areas where the water comes in so fast the pump will short cycle (turns on pumps water out and has less than a minute break and turns back on). To solve that issue you can use a manual sump pump with a switch system where you can set the turn on and off points so you can put in a deeper pit. Or if you prefer an automatic pump you can install a wider pit which will give the pump the needed rest time between cycles.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

YOU BETCHA THEY DO ! Screw the dinky 18" Any serious water the pump keeps cycling. Do 30" or 36" plastic culvet, You'll thank Me later.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I agree Tool. I see these water proof companies come in later to address water leaks from old French drains that are no longer working. They install draintille around the footer , add a sump pit that you can barely fit a pump in. If you are busting the floor up dig the little extra for the proper size pit.
        The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Size does matter as they say ! LOL well in this case .
          The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Thanks Fred ,Tomato can size sumps don't cut it.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

A high water table will cause short cycling no matter how big the sump basin is.

Comment

diameter is more critical than depth for the longevity of the pump. pretty much what ron/ seweratz said.

but a critical consideration is the depth of the pit below the inlet to the drain line. pretty safe to say that the inlet of the drain should be at least 12'' higher than the bottom of the pit. this will allow the pump to cycle without the inlet pipe filling with water/ waste. you want the pump to start prior to the inlet/ invert becoming water logged.

rick.
                Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 05-10-2011, 09:54 AM. Reason: higher
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  diameter is more critical than depth for the longevity of the pump. pretty much what ron/ seweratz said.

but a critical consideration is the depth of the pit below the inlet to the drain line. pretty safe to say that the inlet of the drain should be at least 12'' than the bottom of the pit. this will allow the pump to cycle without the inlet pipe filling with water/ waste. you want the pump to start prior to the inlet/ invert becoming water logged.

rick.
                  ^^^ What he said...
                  Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Last home I was in had a 5 gallon bucket sized sump pit (these really tick me off), the gentleman stated during most rain storms his pump couldn't keep up and burned out every few months. After doing some math we removed the undersized pit and dropped in a 36" X 36" pit, put two Hydromatic OSP 50 in the pit with Ion Genesis which is a user programmable pump controller alternator. A month later we had a record rain and he didn't get a single drop of water.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Ratz I just hit the tanks button Tool

Comment

This tank is made from thick fiberglass. Has a bolt on lid. I get them in various sizes.

Comment

I plan on beginning my French drain (around the back section of the basement only. That is the only place I get seepage at this point. That is the only section exposed to the outside. I’m in a 135+ year old row house with neighbors on each side. If I see water anywhere else after the install I will do the entire basement. I plan on allowing for future pitch for the remainder of basement if necessary.

I’m looking at the “Saber Single Pump Sump Pit w/Clear Lid 18” x 24”. It is 18” at the top and 24” at the bottom. It is a bit more expensive than the basic basins I’ve see. It has a stand for the pump. It comes with or without drainage holes at the top. I plan on getting it without the holes as I’m concerned that if I get a lot of water it may drain out the holes prior to the pump pushing the water out. I will drill a few holes at the very top about 2”inches below the concrete floor to allow any water under the basement floor to have a place to drain in the basin. Does this make sense?

Are there any other basin recommendations that anyone could suggest? If so, please post here or PM me please.

I’m also beginning the work prior to the basin being shipped as my manpower is available then.(about 4 days prior). Am I asking for big trouble?

On somewhat heavy rains I get minor seepage around the outside edges (wetness). During extremely heavy rains I get 5 to 10 gallons of water in the back section of the basement.
                          Regards,
                          K. Nezz

Comment

Look at your previous post for installation. I do not drill holes in the pit exept where drain tile enters or an areaway drain. The only time I drill holes in the pit is when it is placed arouds lots of pgravel and no drain tile in an area like a crawspace that is specifically placed to capture water in one specific area like you are now indicating.Earlier you were running drain tile in your previous post. If you are not running drain tile and you are capturing water in a specific place that is small in area small holes in pit will work. You do not have to worry about them leaking back out because obviously your soil is not taking the water anyway so it's all about least resistance which will be your pit once saturated. Hope this helps.
                            The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

First let me thank you all for taking the time out to respond.

I am running the PVC with 4” of washed stone on top and bottom along with incasing the stone in fiber to reduce sediments from getting into the system.

As for the basin – my readings say to put washed stone around the basin as well as the bottom and that is where I need additional explanation. I would think that incasing the basin in tamped dirt until I get about 6” from the top and using 2” of washed stone at the top then concrete the 4” to meet the floor. Then if I drill a few small holes near the top of the basin where the washed stone is would allow for any water that may be traveling between the concrete floor and the dirt below to seep into the basin would help. Let me state that I’m not sure at all if water is traveling between the concrete floor and the dirt below.

Regards,
                              K. Nezz
                              Last edited by Knezz; 05-11-2011, 12:27 AM.
                              Regards,
                              K. Nezz

Comment

Working...
                              X