Bad gate valve?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad gate valve?

If it possible for a gate valve to go bad? I have a house that was winterized and before the summer I am redoing the bathroom. I had to take the valves off to get the vanity out. Upon going back to the house I discovered a trickle coming out of the open kitchen sin. The main valve which is a gate valve is completely off. So, it would seem that somehow water is getting past the closed main gate valve. Has anyone seen this and, or, is it even possible that the valve could be letting water past?

Re: Bad gate valve?

Originally posted by hood4u View Post
    If it possible for a gate valve to go bad? I have a house that was winterized and before the summer I am redoing the bathroom. I had to take the valves off to get the vanity out. Upon going back to the house I discovered a trickle coming out of the open kitchen sin. The main valve which is a gate valve is completely off. So, it would seem that somehow water is getting past the closed main gate valve. Has anyone seen this and, or, is it even possible that the valve could be letting water past?
    Yes it is fairly common with gate valves. Debris gets stuck in the tapered race and prevents the valve from completely closing.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Also, mineral deposits upon the valve seat area can keep the valve from fully shutting off the water flow.

Comment

Gates vavles are junk. Replace it with a ball vavle

Comment

I assume that ALL gate valves leak a little, most more than a little.
          As a general rule where the main water shut off valve enters the house there should be a hose bib which can be used as a vent when working on the plumbing system.
          Michael
          Sac City Plumbing
          Sacramento CA

Comment

A properly maintained gate valve will not leak pass the gate. You need to exercise the gate on occasion and keep it free of debris. The problem is a really cheap gate valve may break just trying to maintain it.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              A properly maintained gate valve will not leak pass the gate. You need to exercise the gate on occasion and keep it free of debris. The problem is a really cheap gate valve may break just trying to maintain it.

Mark
              THANKS (Button)
              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Working...
              X