X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Under Counter Mounted Sink

I am in the process of remodeling our kitchen with new base cabinets that I built. The plan was to use 3/4"
    plywood topped with 1/4" cement board and tile finish. Now my wife tells me she wants one of the new under counter mounted sinks. All the under counter mounted sinks that I have seen were mounted on granite or some other pre-manufactured counter top. I know of no way to install a sink mounted from below to a fabricated counter as described above in my original plan. I guess I could tile the exposed "rim" of the counter, but something tells me that it would not be a satisfactory installation. Any thoughts or suggestions that anyone out there have would be graciously appreciated.

Re: Advice on Under Counter Mounted Sink

I'm thinking a good tile-person could do it. Bullnose edge all around or something. I'm not a good tile-person though, so it may not be fair to say one could do it easily.

Might try this as well.

http://www.counter-seal.com/

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

I have seen them mounted on wood counters with a plastic laminate covering, but never with tile. I don't know how you would get a finished look on the tight radius that the under counter sink requires. Good Luck.

Comment

You could install your sub top, install the sink and then tile over the edge of the sink.... but, that means if the sink is damaged, tile has to come out to replace it. What type of tile are you using? I might have an idea....

Comment

Thanks for all your inputs. I'm really not in favor of this, just trying to appease the wife. J. C. I looked at the site you suggested, but it looks like that seal only fits certain size sinks. Correct me if I'm wrong. At this moment I'm not sure what type of tile I will be using. The granite tile we saw at one tile store looks promising.

Comment

You could have a cultured marble piece or frame made for the sink shape. That could give you a finished continuous edge. Got to get the color coordinated though.

Just thinking.....

J.C.

Comment

I'm thinking this is getting too complicated. Trying to do something complicated I could end up spending more than a slab of granite would cost.

Comment

I'll agree with you if you want me too. Then you can show it to the misses.

A cultured marble "frame" should be pretty inexpensive if you want to look into it.

Granite is nice if you've got the $$$. I personally like a solid surface as opposed to tile with grout lines to catch things that have to be maintained.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by engineer View Post
                  I am in the process of remodeling our kitchen with new base cabinets that I built. The plan was to use 3/4"
                  plywood topped with 1/4" cement board and tile finish. Now my wife tells me she wants one of the new under counter mounted sinks. All the under counter mounted sinks that I have seen were mounted on granite or some other pre-manufactured counter top. I know of no way to install a sink mounted from below to a fabricated counter as described above in my original plan. I guess I could tile the exposed "rim" of the counter, but something tells me that it would not be a satisfactory installation. Any thoughts or suggestions that anyone out there have would be graciously appreciated.

Kohler makes a tile-in kitchen sink. It sits flush to the tile. You can wipe the countertop off into the sink without a rim to get in the way almost just like an undermount.

Comment

I dunno, it's kohler, the granite is probably still cheeper

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                    Kohler makes a tile-in kitchen sink. It sits flush to the tile. You can wipe the countertop off into the sink without a rim to get in the way almost just like an undermount.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Have you looked into granite? I can get granite cut, edged and installed here for 35 bucks a square foot. By the time you buy the plywood, underlayment, granite tiles, granite tile edgings, thinset, grout, sealer... and you still have just a "tile" counter top. I would do some checking around with local granite installers/suppliers befor you settle on tiling it. heck, I am a tile setter, and I'll admit that tiled counters are a bad idea...

oh, and my granite installer will furnish the sink and install it (not the plumbing) as part of the deal if the total is over a certian amount.

Comment

I would check out a stone yard, sometimes they have large pieces of granite that they mis-cut for a job. You can get some really nice stuff for really cheap sometimes.

And if you go with a standard color with a standard bevel the price can be really affordable.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                          I dunno, it's kohler, the granite is probably still cheeper
                          My cost was about 300.00. It was black and double bowl. Nice flat bottom and cast iron.

Comment

The undermount wants to have a solid surface that overhangs the radius where the top flange of the sink and the sides of the bowl(s) meet. The inside edge of the counter should more or less be in line with the vertical sink walls, or even encroach on the sink area by 1/16 or 1/8. Then you fill the seam between the top of the sink and the bottom of the counter with silicone caulk, which because of the overhang you only see along the back edge, and even then it's not prominent. I don't see that there is any good way to get this to look right with a tile counter.

I've done a few tile-in sinks. They look very nice and give a flush surface with the tile counter. But the sink needs to be a color that goes with the tile. IMO, if you have a sink that contrasts too much with the tile, not a good look. But your Boss will certainly have her own opinion and that's the only one that counts.

I haven't done a tile kitchen counter in years. Buyers want granite, quartz, silestone or the like. It's one of the few things that will probably pay back come time to sell.

If you do decide to check into granites... when picking budget granite, put some water on the slab, wait a minute or two, and see if it noticeably darkens. That means it's absorbent. The water will dry and the stone will lighten back up, but in a kitchen there will be food materials that will stain the stone. While all granites will absorb somewhat, there is a huge range, and I've found that some of the less expensive stones look great but absorb quite a bit more more than the higher priced ones. Darks tend to do better than lights. Yes, you should put sealer on the stone, but particularly in a kitchen you want to pay a bit more if you can and start with a decent granite. Stains ruin the whole look (and resale value). Or go to the silestone type of manufactured material. Some of those are totally impervious and don't absorb at all. I look at these every time... but end up with natural granite. Nothing manufactured comes close to that look.

The edges drive the price up with granite. Fancy edges like ogee cost bucks. A straight edge is cheap. I prefer a full bullnose on kitchens because it's one of the edge styles that is less likely to chip if bumped with a heavy cooking utensil like an iron skillet or the like. Anything sharp may be cheap but it won't be as rugged.

In my area, the fabricators and slab yards that do fabrication blow away the price you get from the home inprovement chains by at least 20-30%.

Kudos for building your cabinets. I build my own, too... there are not many of us homeowners that are willing to do that these days, but I see you're an enginerd too, so that explains it.
                            Last edited by Andy_M; 05-12-2011, 12:30 AM.

Comment

What Andy said!

Like I said, I am a tile guy, and wouldn't do it. For resale reasons, most people dislike tile tops, even if new. Sanitary reasons, grout will need to be cleaned and sealed every now and then. Even epoxy grouts will get dirty. Durability, I have yet to see a tile counter that hasn't had cracked grout joints, nosings falling off... they just are not as robust as a true solid surface top.

4 years ago I thought about tile tops for my own kitchen, and I went with laminate due the cost of the materials being double the cost of the laminate. I wish I had the granite peoples number I now use, I could have gotten granite for probably less that what the tile was going to cost.

Comment

Working...
                              X