X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower doors

So do you install shower doors or decline or sub it out?

Re: Shower doors

If, in the course of a minor remodel or repair, the H.O. has purchased
    his own, then yes, I'll go ahead and install it.
    But as a normal service call job or new construction, never.
    Don't stock 'em or order 'em. Not considered part of the
    plumber's job as a rule.

Comment

Our jobs use 3/8" frameless. Subed
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
        If, in the course of a minor remodel or repair, the H.O. has purchased
        his own, then yes, I'll go ahead and install it.
        But as a normal service call job or new construction, never.
        Don't stock 'em or order 'em. Not considered part of the
        plumber's job as a rule.
        About 6 years ago I bid a job for the U.S. Coast Guard to install 4 new toilets and 2 urinals with a few lavs. Complete with partitions,soap dispense,toilet paper holders and if I gavr a 10% discount they would let me fly a jet. Ok I made the jet part up anyway I'm glad I didn't get the job as installing those partitions whould have been a 1st for me.

I typically do not install shower doors but a customer of mine wanted one installed and really wanted me to do it. Shes old. So I did. The shower was fiberglass with an existing door installed that was broken. I removed the old door and polished the fiberglass stall and installed a new sterling cheap shower door. Sealed it all up with clear 100% silicone. Only had to make two cuts to install it and that was the threshold and the top rail. A miter saw with a metal cutting blade works great for this. You cut slow and then finsih the cut edge with a file. Anyway the job took 3 hrs with travel time + the door and misc. materials. Great inside gravy work IMO and she was happy when I left!!!!!

Comment

No we never install shower doors.

The last job we did 3 months ago, the shower door guy that was recommended from a Plumbing supply house, f*cked up the doors so bad, it was the first time I ever had to re-rip out a shower enclosure that was installed for 2 weeks.

Point drill started,he told the homeowner and my father that he's been a Plumber for 20 years blah blah blah...funny how everyone is an expert in Plumbing.

End result was..3 insurance companies were out to see the job, all 3 said shower door guy f*cked up..and it's currently in small claims court between homeowner and shower door guy.

We want no parts with shower doors.....ever!

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
            No we never install shower doors.

The last job we did 3 months ago, the shower door guy that was recommended from a Plumbing supply house, f*cked up the doors so bad, it was the first time I ever had to re-rip out a shower enclosure that was installed for 2 weeks.

Point drill started,he told the homeowner and my father that he's been a Plumber for 20 years blah blah blah...funny how everyone is an expert in Plumbing.

End result was..3 insurance companies were out to see the job, all 3 said shower door guy f*cked up..and it's currently in small claims court between homeowner and shower door guy.

We want no parts with shower doors.....ever!
            So what did he do wrong? Was it a high end door?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
              So what did he do wrong? Was it a high end door?
              It was a 2 piece ( top & Bottom) neo-angle shower, which are a pain in the butt to start with. It just so happened that this customer was also extremely particular, and there was no room for error at all.

Well the door guy installed the frame waaaay to close to the back edge on the apron (closest to the inside of the shower) and it really made in the inside of the shower tight...moving around wise. He also didn't caulk the corners of the doors correctly, and you could easily see daylight between the shower wall and frame..and it leaked when customer used shower. He didn't use any caulk on the underside of any of the frame...anywhere.

So the door guy gets a brilliant idea to use suction cups on the glass and shaking back and forth vigorously...which threw the fiberglass walls out of whack then. It was a 2 piece (top & bottom) that had bolts between both sections along with sealant to keep from moving. Everything was flush when we installed the unit, and homeowner signed off on it. When he pulled on the glass like that, our walls got thrown out of whack 1/16 of an inch.

Dad goes to the job to see what happened and here my dad pointed out to the guy that the glass was installed backwards to begin with.

It was a nightmare for us, cause we were totally done and out the door...just waiting to be paid, when the frantic phone call came in a week later.

We had nothing to do with the door or door guy, but yet we got drug into it. My dad did the right thing, and stood by the customer, and we had to install a new shower base, but this time they went with tile walls and a new shower door company.

I wouldn't say the original doors were high end...but the second doors were. First doors were $700.00 from the supply house...the second doors were custom made from a glass company that totaled over $2,000.00.

I know one thing..I'll never install a Neo-angle 2 piece shower stall again.
              Last edited by Flux; 05-10-2011, 09:01 PM.

Comment

old neighbor owns 1 of the largest custom shower door companies in the western united states. century shower doors are the high end customs that home depot subs out too.

so i just recommend them.

but during my days in the union. we were responsible for all the bathroom accessories. towel bars, paper holders, handicap bars, soap and tooth brush holder, robe hooks.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                X