X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new tank hitting large water pipe

I have a new toilet I want to install but water supply line comes out of the wall behind the tank. The pipe coming out of the wall is probably 1 inch and there is a bushing to get it to 1/2 inch copper. It's an old house with plaster walls and galvanised steel pipes. I'm thinking I need to cut into the wall and make the transition from 1 inch to 1/2 inch inside the wall. Then I would have to re-tile part of the wall.

I took a picture but not sure if it uploaded so here is a link.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1028761...eat=directlink
    Attached Files

Re: new tank hitting large water pipe

Contact Clipper City Plumber.

J.C.

Comment

If you changed the nipple coming out of the wall to a shorter one would that help?
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Do you think I can get the nipple out without cutting out part of the wall?

I'm also concerned how to check for a leak inside the wall if I put a shorter nipple in.
        I don't think I'll be able to see the pipe inside the wall where the nipple will screw in.

I wonder if I could put a shorter nipple and bushing in and then a 1/2 90 degree copper fitting.

Comment

the original install was a flushometer toilet.

you could get a commercial 1.6gpf bowl and a sloan valve. this would be the best flusher in the house.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,

The house was built in 1920. Do you know if that size water supply pipe was normal back then?
            I didn't think about getting a commercial toilet but that might be a good idea.

Comment

What's on the back side of the wall?

Comment

There's a half bath on the other side of the wall.
                I think directly behind the toilet is where the other toilet is.
                They probably share the same vertical waste line.

Comment

Open the wall to make the correction and replace that pink tile. You never liked it anyway and you can tell your wife we said it had to go!

Comment

/5. what year and all. post pictures. still don't have one. now i will spend the few days looking. breid...................

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

you could get a commercial 1.6gpf bowl and a sloan valve. this would be the best flusher in the house.

rick.
                      Oh no ..not again..Remember the last guy that just wanted to repair his sloan valve..Thinks he's done yet

Comment

My self , I'd just cut it off in the basement ,and install new plumbing in the proper place! Eze for Me, no tile damage !
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          My self , I'd just cut it off in the basement ,and install new plumbing in the proper place! Eze for Me, no tile damage !
                          Back to back bathrooms. I don't think it will be that easy! Open the wall and be done with it. While in there replace all of it.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                            I recommend this option, I can come down there and help you

Comment

And there he is..

Comment

Working...
                              X