X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navien tankless flow sensor problem

Hi, I've had a Navien CR-240A tankless gas water heater for almost two years. It worked fine until several weeks ago, when the system stopped igniting when hot water was called for. This was just after my plumber re-soldered a leaky copper water line going into the unit. The error code, according to Navien, indicated that the flow sensor was clogged. My plumber followed Navien tech support's instructions for cleaning it out. It worked for a short time and stopped again. Plumber serviced it again, and this cycle repeated once or twice more, until, at his recommendation, plumber installed a water filter on the incoming water line.

Unfortunately, the problem is still with us. We can get hot water only if we turn on two or three taps at once. (Before the problem, we'd get hot water even if we only had one tap on at a trickle. We can turn off the extra taps after it heats up, but often the water will only be tepid for a couple minutes or so, and sometimes it will also cut out on us.

Do we need a new flow sensor, or is our plumber just not being thorough enough in cleaning out the flow sensor?

It's weird because for almost two years we never had an issue with it ...

Chris

Re: Navien tankless flow sensor problem

Navien has had flow sensor issues in the past. My recommendation is to have it replaced. The impeller can get coated with film and not read at a low gpm. This has been my experience with tankless heaters over the last seven years. Noritz flow sensors can be taken apart and cleaned...not sure about the Navien. The flow sensors use a magnetic pick up (similar to the flow sensor on a water softener) so it is easy to get coated with film. You can take it out and use CLR to clean it and reinstall it.

Comment

Originally posted by Viper83 View Post
      Navien has had flow sensor issues in the past. My recommendation is to have it replaced. The impeller can get coated with film and not read at a low gpm. This has been my experience with tankless heaters over the last seven years. Noritz flow sensors can be taken apart and cleaned...not sure about the Navien. The flow sensors use a magnetic pick up (similar to the flow sensor on a water softener) so it is easy to get coated with film. You can take it out and use CLR to clean it and reinstall it.
      Thanks! I ended up calling Navien and they sent me a new flow sensor, which I'm still waiting for my plumber to install. If we end up having problems with that one, I'll definitely take your advice. Navien was just telling us to clean it with a toothbrush ...

Comment

Thank You for sharing YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH US. This is text book for Us that love and recommend the wonderful Bradford white
        Tank water heater. Sorry for Your problems, You're one of many ! Good luck Tool
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
        X