Vent holes in waste line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vent holes in waste line

This is the main waste outlet to the street for the house of a buddy of mine. It looks like the previous owner punched some holes in it as a means of draining the basement in the event of a flood. He has 3 manual sump pumps down there, but the previous owner was a snow bird who most likely did this in case a flood happened in the summer.

he says he is not getting any sewer gasses coming out of the holes, but I told him that any holes in the waste pipe used for drainage without a trap is most likely a bad idea. Should he replace or patch that part of the line? Could he branch off a floor drain with a proper trap?

Re: Vent holes in waste line

no posts in an entire day? Sounds like a good time for a good ol' fashioned bump.

Comment

Wow...That is plumbing ingenuity at it's finest right there! As a plumber, i would say yes, fix it so it is right and meets code. I am surprised he gets no sewer smell, or flies/bugs. He must have the worlds cleanest sewer line

Comment

I never seen anything like that in my life.

If there is a building trap further down the line, there will be very little sewer smell at all...but still...that set up right there is crazy.

Comment

Not good ..What happens when the sewer backs up..Hmmm ..What he needs is a proper floor drain or sump system installed
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Heck ,He May be on to something!Just use Perf all the way! I never woulda Thunk of that !
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
            X