Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 4" cast Iron, at hub to ABS plastic?

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
    A service weight gasket..Why would you even bother with anything else
    I used to do it more years ago. The verticals are easy and I don't mind doing it. It does not take that long. I still admire some of the old ways of plumbing and admire the boys who did every joint that way. It also works great. It also depends if i have the gasket and if i feel like going to the store. I usually have them though. It just depends on alot of things. The horizontals are a bit harder and take some more time.
    The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

I also carry an assortment of cast iron flanges for service work. I will pour one of those in a minute. My partner thinks it's funny that I still want to do this .
      The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

The one I poured in the pic took 10 minutes(maybe) from start to finish once I cleaned the old hub out. No big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
          The one I poured in the pic took 10 minutes(maybe) from start to finish once I cleaned the old hub out. No big deal.
          Yes, the verticals are easy . Not much more difference in time after beveling the pipe, fighting getting the pipe in the gasket and getting turkey snot all over you. Lube - that's what the old timer who taught me called it. LOL
          The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Go to a plumbing supply house. Proflex is a rubber booted stainless steel band, You'll read on the band the match up C.I to plastic.
            So EZ a cave man can do it !
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Go to a plumbing supply house. Proflex is a rubber booted stainless steel band, You'll read on the band the match up C.I to plastic.
              So EZ a cave man can do it !
              You can also buy it to match up with DWV copper .
              The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Originally posted by Fred the plumber View Post
                I also carry an assortment of cast iron flanges for service work. I will pour one of those in a minute. My partner thinks it's funny that I still want to do this .
                I don't think it's funny to do .It's often the right thing to do ..Older home w/cast iron flange already..No problem, especially when there is nothing to bolt the flange down to.. the cast iron is a life saver..

Sometime it takes a little effort to do things right..
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I don't think it's funny to do .It's often the right thing to do ..Older home w/cast iron flange already..No problem, especially when there is nothing to bolt the flange down to.. the cast iron is a life saver..

Sometime it takes a little effort to do things right..
                  I agree 100 percent . I always carry them just in case and they are solid like you said.
                  The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Awhile back a had to install a cast iron flange..I had a 3" flange but it needed to be about 1 1/2" ..Took out the ol' angle grinder with the cut off blade and whammo ..pretty slick..I love that grinder

Comment

I know what you mean there, it's sometimes to long or to short . Years ago no grinder or cast iron sawzaw blades. I am not sure why i did not have them, i dont think most people did . I tried to think of everything to make the adjustments. I would even try the old crescent wrench snap all the way around. Desperate times calls for desperate measures. I am sure I tried some other crazy things that I don't remember.
                      The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Yeah my buddy called me recently to come over and bring my grinder to cut down some cast iron..I swear that thing will never leave my truck..slick as a whistle and the blades are cheap..I hate using snap cutters esp. on old cast iron..always seems to crumble or I get less than perfect cuts..Even if I can cut most of the way through then finish with a sawzall blade it beats cracked pipe..just my .02

Comment

Yeah my buddy called me recently to come over and bring my grinder to cut down some cast iron..I swear that thing will never leave my truck..slick as a whistle and the blades are cheap..I hate using snap cutters esp. on old cast iron..always seems to crumble or I get less than perfect cuts..Even if I can cut most of the way through then finish with a sawzall blade it beats cracked pipe..just my .02
                          I agree, the snap and the ratchet cutters were always a pain to use. When u cut CI in a muddy ditch many years ago I bet you wish you would have used the grinder or sawzaw instead of fighting with those things. I am like you with the grinder. I carry the Dewalt 18 volt cordless and the corded along with all different types of blades. I also now carry that multi max with an assortment of blades. Good for cutting grout, drywall, wood and plunge cuts. I have used that a few times as well.
                          The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Originally posted by Fred the plumber View Post
                            I agree, the snap and the ratchet cutters were always a pain to use. When u cut CI in a muddy ditch many years ago I bet you wish you would have used the grinder or sawzaw instead of fighting with those things. I am like you with the grinder. I carry the Dewalt 18 volt cordless and the corded along with all different types of blades. I also now carry that multi max with an assortment of blades. Good for cutting grout, drywall, wood and plunge cuts. I have used that a few times as well.
                            Don't have a multi max YET...But I carry a dremel tool also

Comment

The dremel is nice and I think might even be better. U can set depths and I believe has many more accessories. Do you use it much ?
                              The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Are you going to watch the special tomorrow on dateline at 7 in reference to dishonesty of contractors sometimes.
                                The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Working...
                                X