Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 4" cast Iron, at hub to ABS plastic?

Originally posted by Fred the plumber View Post
    The dremel is nice and I think might even be better. U can set depths and I believe has many more accessories. Do you use it much ?
    ..Not really but did a job at a locksmiths house a while back and couldn't cut the closet bolts because of the recess of the toilet bowl..He went and got his dremel..Yes..another tool to carry just in case..Don't know if I am going to watch Hanson and dateline tomorrow..
    I will probably be watching Ax men / swamp people ..love those shows..Hanson is pretty good at setting up those scumbag child molesters though ..Predators going after minors on the internet then get set up..They should let the parents pop outta the closet and beat the crap outta them..Now that would be worth watching
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
      ..Not really but did a job at a locksmiths house a while back and couldn't cut the closet bolts because of the recess of the toilet bowl..He went and got his dremel..Yes..another tool to carry just in case..Don't know if I am going to watch Hanson and dateline tomorrow..
      I will probably be watching Ax men / swamp people ..love those shows..Hanson is pretty good at setting up those scumbag child molesters though ..Predators going after minors on the internet then get set up..They should let the parents pop outta the closet and beat the crap outta them..Now that would be worth watching
      Amen to that. Do you believe that some of the people caught have seen the show and still try this. That's insane.
      The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
        I think I'm the only Plumber that doesn't own a grinder.
        No grinder.. One of The most used tool on the truck for us. Rebar,crete removal,cast removal ect.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          Go to a plumbing supply house. Proflex is a rubber booted stainless steel band, You'll read on the band the match up C.I to plastic.
          So EZ a cave man can do it !
          I tried to order this and was told there was nothing...only for CI outside pipe dimensions, not for the outside Bell dimensions which I am stuck with.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rich121 View Post
            I tried to order this and was told there was nothing...only for CI outside pipe dimensions, not for the outside Bell dimensions which I am stuck with.

Rick
            I don't know anything for cast iron that fits on the outside hub. They do make some clay fernco adapters x abs/PVC that on the clay side will fit around the outside of the cast iron hub then transition over to your ABS or PVC. I have done tis before. Sometimes u can heat and stretch a fernco but there is no need to do this. Remember clay x plastic schedule 40 . I thought you were going to use the service gasket, bevel around pipe and insert. You can do it .
            Last edited by Fred the plumber; 05-15-2011, 06:39 AM. Reason: Typo
            The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

I think I'm the only Plumber that doesn't own a grinder.
              Gotta try dewalt 18v grinder, works great.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Rick
                Busted, didn't take the time to read properly . Pack Oakem and lead wool !
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Fred the plumber View Post
                  I don't know anything for cast iron that fits on the outside hub. They do make some clay fernco adapters x abs/PVC that on the clay side will fit around the outside of the cast iron hub then transition over to your ABS or PVC. I have done tis before. Sometimes u can heat and stretch a fernco but there is no need to do this. Remember clay x plastic schedule 40 . I thought you were going to use the service gasket, bevel around pipe and insert. You can do it .
                  I was planning on using both, as this is a finished basement, and I don't want a leak.

The outside dimension of the cast iron hub is 5 7/8", the outside diameter of the ABS is 4 1/2"...I can't find a Fernco adapter that fits these measurements?

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    Gotta try dewalt 18v grinder, works great.
                    What size grinder?

Comment

What size grinder?
                      I have an 18 volt makita grinder, and like it. I am also a welder , I have many grinders. Awesome tools
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I was planning on using both, as this is a finished basement, and I don't want a leak.

The outside dimension of the cast iron hub is 5 7/8", the outside diameter of the ABS is 4 1/2"...I can't find a Fernco adapter that fits these measurements?
                        Rich, I wish I was there to help you. Believe me there is a way and a fitting that will work. I thought you were going to use the gasket insert, bevel the edges on the ABS, grease it up and push the abs in. Sometimes you lay a 2x4 across pipe and hit it with a maul. It will go in. Did you try a 6x4 fernco .
                        The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          I have an 18 volt makita grinder, and like it. I am also a welder , I have many grinders. Awesome tools
                          I see all these different sizes. What size are you guys using for 4" C.I. ?

Today I think I used the sawzall for the last time on C.I.

Our chain cutter miraculously grew legs and disappeared, and I'm not using our snap cutter because I don't want to create a bigger problem. I see you all talking about grinders, and I'm ready for a change.

Comment

I only have the 4 1/2 dewalt corded and cordless. It works great. If u r in a floor cutting a horizontal I start the cut with a grinder then finish with a bimetal sawzaw blade, if I have a lot of trouble when I get to the bottom I switch back to CI sawzaw blade. If I have access all the way around CI then grinder all the way. I am done with those cutters, both kind. Put those cutters away Flux .
                            Last edited by Fred the plumber; 05-16-2011, 10:02 PM. Reason: Typo
                            The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

I see all these different sizes. What size are you guys using for 4" C.I. ?

Today I think I used the sawzall for the last time on C.I.

Our chain cutter miraculously grew legs and disappeared, and I'm not using our snap cutter because I don't want to create a bigger problem. I see you all talking about grinders, and I'm ready for a change.
                              Before I started using grinder I would use sawzaw. I would star out with CI sawzaw blade as soon as I see some hollow I switch to a brand new bimetal and it cut through like butter. When u get to the end u can always switch back to CI sawzaw blade.
                              Last edited by Fred the plumber; 05-16-2011, 10:02 PM. Reason: Typo
                              The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

do y'all prefer a grinder to snap cutters on new pipe as well? or only on older pipe for repairs?

I use a 4 1/2 corded with a diamond blade; works, loud, slow for new pipe.
                                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X