Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 4" cast Iron, at hub to ABS plastic?

grinders work great on old pipe and pipe that's difficult to get a chain/ snap cutter around.

but remember that a grinder will not only throw sparks and etch paint, glass etc. but the cast iron dust will rust and ruin the surface it sits on. just be aware of that.

as far as grinders, the 4.5'' fits great around pipe. the 14'' cut off saw will cut completely through 4'' cast without moving around the pipe.

i must have at least 15 grinders or more. great tool for all occasions.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      grinders work great on old pipe and pipe that's difficult to get a chain/ snap cutter around.

but remember that a grinder will not only throw sparks and etch paint, glass etc. but the cast iron dust will rust and ruin the surface it sits on. just be aware of that.

as far as grinders, the 4.5'' fits great around pipe. the 14'' cut off saw will cut completely through 4'' cast without moving around the pipe.

i must have at least 15 grinders or more. great tool for all occasions.

rick.

Cut off saw is great if you can afford one. Maybe one day.
      The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
        do y'all prefer a grinder to snap cutters on new pipe as well? or only on older pipe for repairs?

I use a 4 1/2 corded with a diamond blade; works, loud, slow for new pipe.
        New=Snaps
        I know,I know...I need to ship yours to you.
        Sorry

Comment

Hello Rick,

The best way to solve your problem Rick is to call an experienced plumber who knows what he or she is doing? You are the do-it yourself kind of guy and have been taking advice from handyman or people have learned plumbing the crooked/twisted way (perhaps they've never attended plumbing school at all! and it is important to be educated in this field as well)

Lesson #1) You can't fit ABS pipe into a Hub cast iron pipe. It will never work.

Solution.
          1. Need to make room for the new ABS pipe or ABS fittings that you are about to use.
          2. Buy a reciprocating saw along two CARBIDE BLADES 6" Inch/each
          3. Cut the Cast "Hubs and give yourself some room to fit that ABS along with some ABS Pipe (don't know what size you are working on). In other words cut some more inches after the hub.
          4. Buy two or three "Transitional Band Couplings" and install them properly. You will also need to buy a torque wrench and tighten each band coupling to 60PSI.
          5. Buy some ABS Pipe along with an ABS cutter, measuring tape, ABS glue, some rags.
          Accurate measurements, and cutting is very critical in order to make parts fit and must make sure nothing is leaking otherwise you will create a flooding and spend $100 to $1,000's of dollars cleaning waste. That's not good. If you are not sure what you are doing call a reputable plumber, who does good jobs, and one who also pulls city permits. A reputable plumber /plumbing company is one who pulls city permits all the time whenever they are doing big jobs. Out there, there are a lot of plumbers who claim to say they know plumbing, but when it comes that they don't pull city permits, they are the type who cut corners and don't do a good job. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by laman67 View Post
            Hello Rick,

The best way to solve your problem Rick is to call an experienced plumber who knows what he or she is doing? You are the do-it yourself kind of guy and have been taking advice from handyman or people have learned plumbing the crooked/twisted way (perhaps they've never attended plumbing school at all! and it is important to be educated in this field as well)

Lesson #1) You can't fit ABS pipe into a Hub cast iron pipe. It will never work.

Solution.
            1. Need to make room for the new ABS pipe or ABS fittings that you are about to use.
            2. Buy a reciprocating saw along two CARBIDE BLADES 6" Inch/each
            3. Cut the Cast "Hubs and give yourself some room to fit that ABS along with some ABS Pipe (don't know what size you are working on). In other words cut some more inches after the hub.
            4. Buy two or three "Transitional Band Couplings" and install them properly. You will also need to buy a torque wrench and tighten each band coupling to 60PSI.
            5. Buy some ABS Pipe along with an ABS cutter, measuring tape, ABS glue, some rags.
            Accurate measurements, and cutting is very critical in order to make parts fit and must make sure nothing is leaking otherwise you will create a flooding and spend $100 to $1,000's of dollars cleaning waste. That's not good. If you are not sure what you are doing call a reputable plumber, who does good jobs, and one who also pulls city permits. A reputable plumber /plumbing company is one who pulls city permits all the time whenever they are doing big jobs. Out there, there are a lot of plumbers who claim to say they know plumbing, but when it comes that they don't pull city permits, they are the type who cut corners and don't do a good job. Good luck.
            Apparently you don't read real well. No one on this thread claims to have packed and poured abs into CI. I always use PVC . I don't really know if you are correct about the ABS either, I would have to see for myself as i never use it as i stated earlier.Not one person on this particular thread is a hacker by any stretch of the imagination. Why don't you offer your advice and leave it at that. You also do not need to buy a torque wrench for a one time project especially if you are a homeowner. A lot of things you offered for advice were already mentioned. Anyway you should think a little before you speak.
            The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

I have poured a lead joint with ABS,but the last one was probably in 1975 or 76,it was around then that everything in the area went to PVC.Still do poured joints on new work on a regular basis in Chicago .
              Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                I think I'm the only Plumber that doesn't own a grinder.

Flux, You're a plumber! You're IN the grinder.
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

It works fine.We're supposed to use a caulk adapter tho.Wait till it cools before you tamp it.

Comment

Working...
                  X