X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4" cast Iron, at hub to ABS plastic?

I removed all the 4" cast iron drain pipe down to the 45 degree hub that is flush with the basement floor.
    I didn't mean to remove it all the way there, but the piece below where I cut cracked, so I had to removed it also.
    I purchased a ring, don't remember the name, but it goes inside the hub and you slide the ABS pipe into it and it seals the opening.
    I am not having any luck with getting the ABS into the hub/ring...I have even tried olive oil to lubricate both the ABS pipe and the cast iron hub, but the ABS just does not want to go inside all the way.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thank you!

Rick

Re: 4" cast Iron, at hub to ABS plastic?

Bevel the edge all the way around the ABS with a file, as you have to file down the outside edge. I use a chop saw to bevel pipe..but a file will absolutely work. Grease everything up, and it should slide right in for you. You may have to slightly turn the pipe as you're pushing.

Make sure you put some a$$ into now.
    Last edited by Flux; 05-13-2011, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
      Bevel the edge all the way around the ABS with a file, as you have to file down the outside edge. I use a chop saw to bevel pipe..but a file will absolutely work. Grease everything up, and it should slide right in for you. You may have to slightly turn the pipe as you're pushing.

Make sure you put some a$$ into now.
      "Make sure you put some a$$ into now"

Not sure what you mean by that?

I did bevel the edge, but not alot, thanks, I will put much larger bevel on the end this time.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rich121 View Post
        "Make sure you put some a$$ into now"

Not sure what you mean by that? Rick
        Meaning..put some muscle behind it while pushing.

Putting a slight bevel on the pipe doesn't make much of a difference imo. Put a nice bevel on that bad boy.

Comment

A grinder works well also. Sometimes for fun I wil just pack and pour with lead and on a horizontal for fun I have a lead runner and will have some fun.
          The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Originally posted by Fred the plumber View Post
            A grinder works well also. Sometimes for fun I wil just pack and pour with lead and on a horizontal for fun I have a lead runner and will have some fun.
            I think I'm the only Plumber that doesn't own a grinder.

Comment

I rarely use nit . I usually do the same as u, use a file. I wanted to try the battery grinder and it worked well though.
              The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

How does ABS hold up to the hot lead? I've never poured lead on ABS but thats because I think its crap pipe and wont use it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                  How does ABS hold up to the hot lead? I've never poured lead on ABS but thats because I think its crap pipe and wont use it.
                  I don't remember if I have ever pack and poured with ABS , I would change to PVC and it works fine. The only ABS around here is in Modular Homes , we would have to make some connections between floors and of course the stub downs in the basement were ABS and we would transition over. I don't know the answer to that one, I am sure it would be fine. I know when I do run into ABS and use my cable saw it seemed to fuse together from the heat and was hard to get apart. PVC does not do this. I remember Fiat show bases in the eighties had a built in metal cup for shower drain, instead of using the rubber we would just stub up 2 inch PVC on the rough in, on the trim we would come back and pack and pour the shower drain, right after pouring a razor knife would cut through PVC like butter and it lasted forever .
                  The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

A grinder works great for cutting clay pipe
                    Ideal Plumbing

Comment

I poured this one last week.

Comment

Nice, not many people know what a lead runner is. When I needed a new runner I asked at supply house and they looked at me with 2 heads. They looks sweet. I always carry a box of oakum, lead and the accessories and I don't mind taking the time to do it.
                        The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Nice, not many people know what a lead runner is. When I needed a new runner I asked at supply house and they looked at me with 2 heads. They looks sweet. I always carry a box of oakum, lead and the accessories and I don't mind taking the time to do it.
                          What do you normally prefer .
                          The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Some plumbers can do verticals but have never done horizontals.
                            The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

What do you normally prefer .

A service weight gasket..Why would you even bother with anything else
                              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X