Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plumber removed copper to replace with PEX

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Remember, he says a "stick". A stick is no specific length.

That's probably for a 10' piece of 1/2" M. We all probably always think of "stick" being 20' because that's how most buy it.

J.C.
    Not sure about these wall hung boilers, but everything on a traditional boiler is tapped 1 1/2" or 1 1/4" with 3/4" heating loops for each zone. I've only ever used 1/2" copper on kick toe heaters so, whatever was ripped out was most likely 3/4" and higher.

Comment

I am curious, what would be the reason for removing the copper if it was in good shape? Could it have been a preventative move?

Obviously there is a communication issue with the OP and his plumber.

Comment

MD is a little higher then that. Brass was bringing it a 1.80 a pound. It's like gold !
        The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Is everyone comfortable with pex on a boiler . I always use copper except when I tear out some crappy baseboard, carpenters are redoing walls, I lay a pex line on the floor attached to copper with 2 shark bites for a few days in the winter time .I then come back install new baseboard, removing pex. Actually it was 24ft of baseboard so the reconnect with copper was easy, just needed to keep the system running so had the pex laying across basement floor with some slack. This was the first time I used pex on a boiler. IN MD we have pex but don't use it much. Home Depot just started carrying pex and fittings. The supply houses have had it for sometime but never really met anyone who uses it especially on heating systems. I am all about change and trying new things.
          The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Originally posted by Fred the plumber View Post
            MD is a little higher then that. Brass was bringing it a 1.80 a pound. It's like gold !
            Not like gold, gold would be $24,000.00 a pound right now.

Comment

Is everyone comfortable with pex on a boiler . I always use copper except when I tear out some crappy baseboard, carpenters are redoing walls, I lay a pex line on the floor attached to copper with 2 shark bites for a few days in the winter time .I then come back install new baseboard, removing pex. Actually it was 24ft of baseboard so the reconnect with copper was easy, just needed to keep the system running so had the pex laying across basement floor with some slack. This was the first time I used pex on a boiler. IN MD we have pex but don't use it much. Home Depot just started carrying pex and fittings. The supply houses have had it for sometime but never really met anyone who uses it especially on heating systems. I am all about change and trying new things.
              I'll never use Pex on a heat system period.

Just a personal preference.

Comment

I don't think anyone uses Pex for near boiler piping that's a gimme but pex is used almost exclusively for hydronic in floor heating and for direct piping to panel radiators and more and more for loop piping for baseboards.

Comment

Thanks guys , that is what I thought.
                  The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

i say what he did was wrong with out letting you know what he was doing but in a way he is doing the right thing and removing the copper and putting in pex ,this is what i would have done in my house
                    i think he was scrap happy .we use Wirsbo heat pex all the time if we need to fish heat pipes in some places . i will run the pex into the boiler from the change to copper . the pex will take the water temp from the boiler but it looks better to have copper coming off the boiler .
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by orcuttal View Post
                      I think you got robbed
                      Agree. You waz robbed. But, just going on his word was not too wise either. I think you should have had him point out exactly what pipe needed to be moved or replaced. I think he twisted your approval into more than you envisioned it to be for his own gain.

Why would anyone want to remove copper and replace it with pex? Because of the labor cost to reinstall the copper in the new location? You've already got most of the material, maybe you need some fittings and some additional pipe (but maybe less) in the new location. Not enough of a difference in the labor to win me over to pex, but I prefer copper any day. Now if he told you you could offset the cost of the pex install with the scrap value of the copper, that would be different, BUT it would still require your approval beforehand AND it should be more than a verbal.
                      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

That would be a 12 foot stick for $12.99....never seen a 20 foot stick used in residential houses.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                          That would be a 12 foot stick for $12.99....never seen a 20 foot stick used in residential houses.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                            With the exception of DIY centers, I've never seen anything but 20 footers.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I buy all copper in 20 foot sticks
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X