X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing new plumbing for a seasonal house in NY state on piers

We currently have copper pipes under the house which is on piers and want to replace the whole system because there are pipes everywhere and make it streamlined and they are exposed to the elements. (Seasonal home- water is shut off in winter) We heard there is a new rubber or plastic piping that will expand in cold weather and prevent bursting pipes? Is this true? What would be the best for this?

Your expert help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by budopie; 05-17-2011, 12:06 PM.

Re: Installing new plumbing for a seasonal house in NY state on piers

Originally posted by budopie View Post
    We currently have copper pipes under the house which is on piers and want to replace the whole system because there are pipes everywhere and make it streamlined and they are exposed to the elements. (Seasonal home- water is shut off in winter) We heard there is a new rubber or plastic piping that will expand in cold weather and prevent bursting pipes? Is this true? What would be the best for this?

Your expert help is greatly appreciated.
    If ice sunk the titanic I don't think any pipe has a chance. I really don't know, did you try to google. I personally would not trust anything. The ground froze and pushed my area way block wall in. I believe when water freezes it has amazing power and can do almost anything it wants. I bet most plumbers on here would not trust such a product. Best bet is always to winterize, i like blowing out all water lines with air. With today's technology you never know, there might be such a product.
    Last edited by Fred the plumber; 05-18-2011, 12:07 AM. Reason: Typo
    The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Re: Installing new plumbing for a seasonal house in NY state on piers

I personally think any material used for water piping, has the potential to burst.

You're most likely talking about Pex piping, and to be quite honest, we don't see it here installed on the outside. But from what others have said on this forum, sun light will harm the pipe.

Pex will expand and contract a little bit, but it will burst if not properly winterized each year. If I was going to run Pex piping or cpvc on the outside, I would use seemless insulation to protect the pipe.

If it was possible, I would box in the water lines and insulate the pipes and the space to protect everything to get peace of mind.

Comment

Working...
      X