Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Need advice on washing machine drain and water supply for seasonal mobile home Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on washing machine drain and water supply for seasonal mobile home

I have a seasonal mobile home on lake property, and would like to add a washing machine and dryer so we can do laundry when we're there. The plan I have in mind is to construct a small platform for the appliances to sit on, and use the cavity under it to route the dryer vent, water supply, and drain. It is in a location where it freezes, so we have a guy winterize it for us.

For the sewer line, my initial thought was to mount a drain line vertically on the wall, but I am unsure of what kind of venting and traps I need. I am envisioning some sort of vacuum break vent on the top of this drain stack, with a sanitary tee (aka wye) a few inches below that will accept the drain from the washing machine. The stack would continue down through the floor and emerge beneath the plastic panels underside the mobile home, have a trap down there, and then tie to my sewer line which I think is 3" PVC with a sanitary tee with reducers. The "my sewer line" mentioned is the final PVC that is at a 20 degree angle before going into the ground. The distance from the proposed trap to this line is about 5 feet.

For water supply, I would think PEX would be the easiest to work with: tie into the current piping (some sort of tan PVC looking stuff), route it up through the floor, mount to the wall.

Any advice on the approach? Not a plumber, so if you can correct any of the parts I need, I would appreciate it, thanks.

Re: Need advice on washing machine drain and water supply for seasonal mobile home

Originally posted by JoePolvino View Post
    I have a seasonal mobile home on lake property, and would like to add a washing machine and dryer so we can do laundry when we're there. The plan I have in mind is to construct a small platform for the appliances to sit on, and use the cavity under it to route the dryer vent, water supply, and drain. It is in a location where it freezes, so we have a guy winterize it for us.

For the sewer line, my initial thought was to mount a drain line vertically on the wall, but I am unsure of what kind of venting and traps I need. I am envisioning some sort of vacuum break vent on the top of this drain stack, with a sanitary tee (aka wye) a few inches below that will accept the drain from the washing machine. The stack would continue down through the floor and emerge beneath the plastic panels underside the mobile home, have a trap down there, and then tie to my sewer line which I think is 3" PVC with a sanitary tee with reducers. The "my sewer line" mentioned is the final PVC that is at a 20 degree angle before going into the ground. The distance from the proposed trap to this line is about 5 feet.

For water supply, I would think PEX would be the easiest to work with: tie into the current piping (some sort of tan PVC looking stuff), route it up through the floor, mount to the wall.

Any advice on the approach? Not a plumber, so if you can correct any of the parts I need, I would appreciate it, thanks.
    When you place the hose of the washer machine in the stand pipe, if the line backs up, it will spill onto the floor before it would go back into the hose and back in the washer.
    So basically you're creating an air gap already. In the plumbing code it's referred to as an indirect waste.

Sanitary tee and wye are 2 different fittings. You need to install a wye, as a Tee on it's "back" is illegal in all the codes I know.

You need to make your wye is intalled on a vented line, as it's illegal to have 2 fixture's behind a vent, as 1 trap will suck the other. It's hard for me to explain into words what I mean.

If it was me, I would try as much as possible to have that trap in the space if it's possible.

In my code..the "International Plumbing Code" you need a minimum of 18" to a maximum of 42" for the stand pipe. Meaning...the length of the pipe that comes from the trap to where the washer hose will go into. Not sure what code you're in though.

Comment

Re: Need advice on washing machine drain and water supply for seasonal mobile home

If it's seasonal and freezes, u can put antifreeze in your 2 inch standpipe trap. It's the same stuff they sell for RVs. Tie into your main like flux said. Your washer should bein 2 inch pvc, when you come up vertically with your 2 inch PVC about 18 inches off your platform you will put a 2 x 1/2 x 2 tee. The center will be 2 inch to your glue trap and at least 20 inch standpipe . The 1 1/2 coming up the vertical will be your vent, take it as high as you can get it and install a quick vent / studor vent. That should work for you. Google laundry tray or standpipe images so you can see. Play around with the words till you find a good pic. The tan stuff is probably flow guard cpvc I guess.
      The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

One other thing. I think it's easier to leave trap where the washer is, that is the correct way. When it's winterized just add antifreeze to that trap to or vacuum the liquid out which is easy and a option also.
        The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

On thing to remember is the washing machine itself will retain water and freeze. I used to own a place in the Berkshires of Massachusetts with a washing machine I needed to winterize. My proceedure was to pull the machine out from the wall, Lay the drain hose down flat into a shallow pan, and tip the machine to the rear. This would get out 90% of the water. I would pour in about a quart of RV antifreeze (not auto antifreeze) to take care of the rest. Never had a problem. In the spring, run an empty cycle with detergent and bleach to clean out the machine.

Also use the RV antifreeze in the trap.

Comment

1950 s We lived in the country. Dad ran a garden hose from the Bendix washer to the back yard. Grass liked this,was 3' tall ! Had to be careful, Bendix wasn't grounded ! Gave Me a nice little rap, if I touched it. Maybe that's My problem today.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I've included an attachment that describes what I am envisioning. At the bottom right, you'd be looking into the the sanitary tee input, which would bend to the left and down, and the thick black line would enter it using a couple 45's. Hard to describe, but the new line would go "into" your screen to enter the main sewer line.

Is the top wye ok? Thinking maybe the wye should have a 45 and a vertical piece to receive the washer drain pipe.

Also, is the vent necessary?
              Attached Files

Comment

I've included an attachment that describes what I am envisioning. At the bottom right, you'd be looking into the the sanitary tee input, which would bend to the left and down, and the thick black line would enter it using a couple 45's. Hard to describe, but the new line would go "into" your screen to enter the main sewer line.

Is the top wye ok? Thinking maybe the wye should have a 45 and a vertical piece to receive the washer drain pipe.

Yes, inspectors are fond of vents !
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Looking at your picture, forget the wye at the top and use a sanitary tee in that spot instead.

Use the wye down below when tying into the main.

Every single fixture is allowed to have it own separate vent...nothing wrong with that at all in any code.

Comment

Is that an S-trap at the bottom of the line?

Comment

Apologies, that is supposed to be a p-trap.

Comment

I was just checking. Looks ok.

Comment

It's easy, cut into your line like flux told you. Run your 2 inch up through your platform, at around 16 to 18 inches cut your 2 x 11/2 x 2 tee for your standpipe. The horizontal pipe off your tee must be minimum 2 pipe diameters long or it is considered a s trap , your standpipe should not be longer then 24 inches or can possibly self siphon. I make mine 18 to 20 inches .Washer according to code must be 2 inch glue trap. Out of the top of you tee will be a 11/2 cheater vent or you can go through your roof which I doubt you want or need to.
                          The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            1950 s We lived in the country. Dad ran a garden hose from the Bendix washer to the back yard. Grass liked this,was 3' tall ! Had to be careful, Bendix wasn't grounded ! Gave Me a nice little rap, if I touched it. Maybe that's My problem today.
                            While this may have been a norm back in the day, it is really not acceptable. It was a poor idea back then but people did not know any better. This leads to run off into lakes and streams that adds nutrients to the water that encourage weed growth. It also may lead to a fine from your environment enforcement officials.

Comment

Originally posted by rjniles View Post
                              While this may have been a norm back in the day, it is really not acceptable. It was a poor idea back then but people did not know any better. This leads to run off into lakes and streams that adds nutrients to the water that encourage weed growth. It also may lead to a fine from your environment enforcement officials.
                              Wow, fine? I'll tell Dad when I see Him! He was born 1899,graduated 1971.

Comment

Working...
                              X