X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: thisnewowner's Plumbing Questions.

I can't make out the big picture...but you have things labeled 'vent' which are horizontal... You can't do that!

Comment

2) Allowable Materials.

(a) When installing fittings or piping for renovations or alterations within an existing soil stack, waste stack, vent stack or drain, the fitting or piping shall be of the same material as the existing stack or drain and be compliant with a joining method outlined in 248 CMR 10.07. Exception: In new residential construction cast iron pipe may be used exclusively with PVC for sound reduction.

I would cut everything out and start over.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        2) Allowable Materials.

(a) When installing fittings or piping for renovations or alterations within an existing soil stack, waste stack, vent stack or drain, the fitting or piping shall be of the same material as the existing stack or drain and be compliant with a joining method outlined in 248 CMR 10.07. Exception: In new residential construction cast iron pipe may be used exclusively with PVC for sound reduction.

I would cut everything out and start over.

Mark
        Yes, I knew that. This old house has several places mixed PVC with CI. Inspector saw those mixtures and didn't say anything last time. It is not practical to follow that rule in all cases.

Comment

Originally posted by thisnewowner View Post
          Yes, I knew that. This old house has several places mixed PVC with CI. Inspector saw those mixtures and didn't say anything last time. It is not practical to follow that rule in all cases.
          To be honest, I doubt there is a pro here who would try to make what you have going on work. Your best bet would be to cut everything (new and old) out about 5' back and start out clean.

Mark

Comment

Re: this U turn vent is good or not?

Read from above code:

Heel or Side-inlet Bends. A heel or side-inlet quarter bend shall not be used as a dry vent when the inlet is placed in a horizontal position, or any similar arrangement of pipe and fittings producing a similar effect, except when the entire fitting is part of a dry vent arrangement.

So I can use two 45-degree or 30 + 60 degree to turn 90 degree as long as i am not put those two fittings together? It looks to me I used one 90-degree fitting and that is the place against the code. The U turn is a big U turn.

following is from code as well but it is too general and I don't know how to interprete it:

No fitting, connection, device, or method of installation that obstructs or retards the flow of water, wastes, sewage, or air in drainage or venting systems where the obstruction results in flow resistance that is greater than the normal frictional resistance to flow shall be used unless otherwise specifically indicated elsewhere in 248 CMR 10.00.

Comment

It all needs to be cut out and re-done. It's a mess. If you are not going to do it correctly then ignore the advice of licensed professionals and just slap an AAV and a couple Fernco's on it.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                It all needs to be cut out and re-done. It's a mess. If you are not going to do it correctly then ignore the advice of licensed professionals and just slap an AAV and a couple Fernco's on it.
                I always respect professional's advice. That is why I came here. I will redo it without that U turn but I may not cut the vent all the way up to replace the entire vent system and the entire drain system.

That requirement about using same material cannot be followed in all cases. I have seen lots of pvc-CI connections here when we shopping our house. This house we bought 2 years ago have at least 3 places are pvc-CI connection. I don't think all of them are DIY project.

I want my project has a good result. Professional's advice is the essential.

Comment

So are you saying that it can't be done or that you don't want to do it?
                  sigpic

Comment

Everything I see is wrong. Time to call in a professional.

Comment

please have a look at attached photos. don't know this connection is good or not. From non-professional point of view, I didn't see why the U turn doesn't work. I may redo it or keep it. some of the pipe is glued but many of them just placeholders.
                      Sorry to say, I think you are somewhat confused and might need some professional help. Hope it works out for you.
                      The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

I always respect professional's advice. That is why I came here. I will redo it without that U turn but I may not cut the vent all the way up to replace the entire vent system and the entire drain system.

That requirement about using same material cannot be followed in all cases. I have seen lots of pvc-CI connections here when we shopping our house. This house we bought 2 years ago have at least 3 places are pvc-CI connection. I don't think all of them are DIY project.

I want my project has a good result. Professional's advice is the essential.
                        Regardless of the mixed materials, you are trying to make your new DWV work without eliminating your existing DWV. In the long run it will be much more work and be done improperly. That is probably 1/2 a days work for a pro to do it right versus a couple of weekends of your effort to do it wrong.

Mark

Comment

Regardless of the mixed materials, you are trying to make your new DWV work without eliminating your existing DWV. In the long run it will be much more work and be done improperly. That is probably 1/2 a days work for a pro to do it right versus a couple of weekends of your effort to do it wrong.

Mark
                          Yes, I will eliminate the existing DWV. Please see this photo. The blue colored will be cut off and the new DWV will be look like the red lines.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by thisnewowner; 05-23-2011, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Yes, I will eliminate the existing DWV. Please see this photo. The blue colored will be cut off and the new DWV will be look like the red lines.
                            That is a much better start but we will need to see where you go from there. The 1.5 galvanize vent should be cut under the floor leaving enough room to tie it back in with a NH coupling or similar (check your Code).

What fixtures are you venting with the 1.2 vent?

Mark

Comment

That is a much better start but we will need to see where you go from there. The 1.5 galvanize vent should be cut under the floor leaving enough room to tie it back in with a NH coupling or similar (check your Code).

What fixtures are you venting with the 1.2 vent?

Mark
                              It is for first floor bath originally (before I cut). Now I plan to add basement counter sink vent into it. So It will the vent for a bath (first floor) and a counter sink (basement). On the left end of the basement room is a 3" pipe from the ground. I plan to connect the bath to it. The counter sink drain and the new vent will end with that 3" pipe as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X