Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far can a standard washing machine push the water to the drain?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far can a standard washing machine push the water to the drain?

I need to place a standard washing machine's water discharge about 12 feet from the sewer line [5 feet up to rafters, 7 feet across rafters (I plan on having at least 2 degrees downward angle to the sewer line) - I'm not counting the 2 feet down to the drain a gravity will handle that.

Does that seem to be a potential problem?
    Regards,
    K. Nezz

Re: How far can a standard washing machine push the water to the drain?

I don't think that is possible. The pumps on the machine are not ment to push it that far.
    You can check with the manufacturer of the machine, but I think it won't work.

Comment

Here's a start for You. Liberty makes a fiberglass catch basin ,guessing 18" diameter. Inside You'll have a 1/3 H.P pump. There will be a knock out on top for a 2" P.v.c. pipe to plumb this into one of Your drain lines.Washer dumps into this basin. You'll also want a check valve near the bottom of YourPVC riser. Contact Your local plumbing inspector for advice If You do this Your self. Most are very helpful.Ps You'll need to install a trap,also
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Here is what Toolaholic is talking about. Very common around here to discharge a washing machine into this, then it pumps the water into the sewer.

http://www.libertypumps.com/Data/Sal...ure/404web.pdf
        Last edited by SewerRatz; 06-03-2011, 07:34 AM. Reason: fixed link
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Hang on now, didn't the post say 5' up and 12 horizontal? If so any washer will handle that.
          sigpic

Comment

zz

google is your friend. i googled my washer brand, picked out my model and clicked installation instructions. there was my answer. my guess is it will work for you. if you can guess my brand and model i will tell you the answer. lol. breid......................

Comment

Re: zz

Breid I think NHMaster is being sarcastic. At least I hope so. I never been a fan of plumbing a washing machine waste into an overhead sewer system even if you can properly trap and vent it. When people do plumb in a drain like that for a washing machine and the first time a city sewer backs up and their basement floods due to the sewerage spilling out from the washing machine drain hook up, they will blame everything else but the hacked in drain. Using a pump box will help prevent that type of flooding.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                Hang on now, didn't the post say 5' up and 12 horizontal? If so any washer will handle that.
                N.H. Master, can you show a lil detail how You would plumb this! I just want to learn ,and it will help the poster also .
                I'm just stuck in the common stand pipe code, and haven't had My coffee Yet. Thanks tool,and a few more ,I'm guessing
                Last edited by toolaholic; 05-26-2011, 10:11 AM.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Re: zz

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  Breid I think NHMaster is being sarcastic. At least I hope so. I never been a fan of plumbing a washing machine waste into an overhead sewer system even if you can properly trap and vent it. When people do plumb in a drain like that for a washing machine and the first time a city sewer backs up and their basement floods due to the sewerage spilling out from the washing machine drain hook up, they will blame everything else but the hacked in drain. Using a pump box will help prevent that type of flooding.
                  That does make sense! My people skills class is at 8:00 pm tonight.it's at the old Knights of Columbus hall. Funny ALL Tradesman!

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    N.H. Master, can you show a lil detail how You would plumb this! I just want to learn ,and it will help the poster also .
                    I'm just stuck in the common stand pipe code, and haven't had My coffee Yet. Thanks tool,and a few more ,I'm guessing

Comment

Thanks, would an inspector pass that on the 18" standpipe rule ? And He may be up close to the sub floor on a limited old basement .Just trying to learn !
                      Ps bucket isn't there for ART DECO, EITHER,ME THINKS!
                      Last edited by toolaholic; 05-26-2011, 11:17 AM.

Comment

not arond here. If you havean overhead sewer the washer must drain in to a pump.

Comment

knezz here You go Nice n clean $563.63 www.plumbingsupply.com/sumpboxsystem
                          We love pictures! good luck Tool

Comment

not arond here. If you havean overhead sewer the washer must drain in to a pump.
                            That also looks like illegal "s" trap.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
                              That also looks like illegal "s" trap.
                              You would be suprised what home owners come up with.

Comment

Working...
                              X