X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garbage Disposals

I had a question about disposals - mainly about using them. I've had a disposal in my house which I rarely used except for grinding some scraps. Recently it sprang a leak in the housing - did not even realize that could happen. Anyway the old unit was a 1/3hp badger so I thought I would replace with a stronger unit and then I could maybe grind more stuff so I replaced with a 3/4hp badger.

Since then I've tried grinding some small bones (lamb chop bones) and some bulky cooked items (chicken chunks and leftover cuts of steak). What I find is that it seems to work well griding the hard item - although it makes a terrible noise and makes me wonder if something is falling apart - but then it seems to leave behind a piece that rattles around and does not get caught by the blades. In the case of the lamb bones after trying for a while I took out the leftover piece - it was tiny although you would not have thought so given the noise it was making getting thrown around - and threw it in the garbage.

Is there some trick to getting these units to grind hard items 100%?

Re: Garbage Disposals

a garbage disposal is a lazy mans garbage can. it's also why i keep busy doing kitchen stoppages.

the best use for a disposal is grinding ice cubes.

turns to water, cleans the machine and never plugs the pipes.

makes some tasty sno cones

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Your disposal probably leaked because the motor shaft seal was wornout. This is usually the first componet that wears out on a garbage disposal.

Comment

the badger series of old would rott out at the side walls of the grind chamber. looks sort of like a teenager with acne.

shaft seals leak due to acid/ fruits left in the disposal that pit the shaft and cause the seals to leak.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          the badger series of old would rott out at the side walls of the grind chamber. looks sort of like a teenager with acne.

shaft seals leak due to acid/ fruits left in the disposal that pit the shaft and cause the seals to leak.

rick.
          The leak was through a hole at the sidewall of the disposal as Rick mentioned. It would seem that he has seen that before.....

I'm guessing the old disposal would be about 15 years old which is the age of the house.

Comment

I didn't put one in my house. Don't like them, like Rick said, clogs things because people try to put too much down them.
            I don't think I would put any type of bones down them, no celery either. I've changed alot of these out for people, and they just put everything down them, and it doesn't break the stuff down good enough.
            Just my feelings.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
              I'm guessing the old disposal would be about 15 years old which is the age of the house.
              A Badger 1 has a useful life of 2 to 5 years. For the last 10 years, you haven't really been grinding the food, but just 'mushing' it out into the drain. Lucky you have not had any backups.

Although they might say a 3/4 hp can grind bones, I think you are pressing your luck. I would not put bones in anything under 1 hp.

Comment

If there is one brand of disposers I have replaced the most over the years it is a Badger. They are cheap and that is why builders use them. If you want a disposer (and I don't ever recommend them), upgrade to a regular In-Sinkerator. Even though the badger is made by In-Sinkerator, the IN-Sinkerator has a lot more stainless steel (rust resistance) and insulation (quieter).

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  a garbage disposal is a lazy mans garbage can. it's also why i keep busy doing kitchen stoppages.

the best use for a disposal is grinding ice cubes.

turns to water, cleans the machine and never plugs the pipes.

makes some tasty sno cones

rick.

Rick I tell my customers the same thing about ice cubes. Started noticing though that every once in a while I get a call from one of them, small hole right through the grinding chamber. The ice will finish off an old G/D that's almost ready to fail. Grinding ice is very hard on the units. But I still tell them to do it anyway. It happened to me at home too so I know it's happening elsewhere. I was grinding some cubes on an older badger V I had in my home some years back and the ice blew a hole right through the side of the unit. I've upgraded since then but still tell the wife not to use it, much. I tell her to turn it on when the dishwasher empties, that cleans em out too.

Comment

Had the same happen to a customer of mine..Asked me if I could fix it
                    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Yes I thought about getting a 1hp stainless steel unit - they looked well built. However, due to the difference in diameter compared to the badger I would have probably had to redo the drains. This was an emergency repair as the water was leaking and I was unable to use the kitchen sink until it was fixed and I did not have the time to be redoing drains so I got another badger - badger 9 which is the 3/4 hp unit - it is bigger than the badger 1 (longer) but is the same diameter as badger 1 so it just went into place without any changes to the drain pipes.

Comment

I just had to chime in to say that I think the disposal is the single most abused plumbing appliance/fixture in any house. It's a small electric motor, not a gas powered wood chipper!
                        Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                          I just had to chime in to say that I think the disposal is the single most abused plumbing appliance/fixture in any house. It's a small electric motor, not a gas powered wood chipper!
                          I think it's the Evolution Excel-they pull one randomly off the line and dump a bunch of Pine Blocks in it to make sure it can grind'em up.

Just a tip: They've went to a "soft" connection on some models to try and eliminate noise/vibration. I've seen the Excel spin off of that connection. And it WAS installed correctly.

Now I zip tie it to the flange. Do as you wish, just reporting what I've seen.

J.C.

Comment

Funny, One came with our home. We've just never used it! Our garbage is picked up. And veg. matter goes out to a processing plant to be sold as fertilizer, Loam, what ever. We have a very progressive Garbage and recycling co. Marin Sanitary San Rafael ca.
                            Over 70 % recycling.
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                            X