Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Cylinder rises 3 inches aboveach clotheswasher water valve. Air absorbs water hammer? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder rises 3 inches aboveach clotheswasher water valve. Air absorbs water hammer?

Just saw it for the firstime in a new house.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Cylinder rises 3 inches aboveach clotheswasher water valve. Air absorbs water ham

Hi robert. where I plumb on 1/2" copper hot n cold, WE PLUMB1 12" riser on each one these air chambers absorb the shock.
    Im S.F. I have to rise 18" for 3/4" copper . Sounds like You have souix city spring loaded chambers on the Washer. They don't get water logged, as air ones can. If so You just drain down the whole house water to dump the water.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Re: Cylinder rises 3 inches aboveach clotheswasher water valve. Air absorbs water ham

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
      ...Sounds like You have souix city spring loaded chambers on the Washer. They don't get water logged, as air ones can. ...
      Thank you.
      Our house, built in 2000, does not have such devices. Never saw them before. Hot water is red, cold water blue.
      (I thoughthathe rubber hoses which came withe clothes washer would absorb water hammer.)

I would expecthe air tubes to soon fill with water as air was absorbed into the water.

I wish our laundry valves were connected together so thathey both could beasily shut off.
      We leave them on 24/7 unless going away. (Then we turn off the valves to every sink and fixture so thathe sprinklers still operate.) Wish we had a single whole-house valve after the sprinklers and pressureducer.
      Last edited by Robert Gift; 05-30-2011, 06:05 AM.

Comment

robert

so install one. breid...............

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          Hi robert. where I plumb on 1/2" copper hot n cold, WE PLUMB1 12" riser on each one these air chambers absorb the shock.
          Im S.F. I have to rise 18" for 3/4" copper . Sounds like You have souix city spring loaded chambers on the Washer. They don't get water logged, as air ones can. If so You just drain down the whole house water to dump the water.
          I realize things are strange in SF, but shouldn't that be a 12" air chamber for 3/4" lines
          and 18" air chamber for 1/2" ?
          BTW, most codes now require shock arrestors for all quick closing valves, i.e.
          washing machines, dishwashers, ice makers.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
            I realize things are strange in SF, but shouldn't that be a 12" air chamber for 3/4" lines
            and 18" air chamber for 1/2" ?
            BTW, most codes now require shock arrestors for all quick closing valves, i.e.
            washing machines, dishwashers, ice makers.
            sorry I'm up at 6,00 am and overtired 18' min for 3/4" lines only 1/2" 12" high.
            This is the S.F. Amendments to the U.F. P. C.
            Last edited by toolaholic; 05-30-2011, 09:21 AM. Reason: WEAVING AGAIN !!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Re: robert

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
              so install one. breid...............
              I'm afraid to solder.
              And cheap - to save $15 I'll just continue to close all the cold water stops. (They should be occasionally exercised, anyway.)
              But cannot stop cold water to showers and bathtubs.

Comment

Install a whole house shut off valve..It is operated by a solenoid that closes when a sensor detects water .You can place one in the laundry , at the main , at the water heater wherever..As far as shock arrestors we were unable to install those 25 years ago..Everything has to be mechanical and readily accessible here..They have ones made just for laundry hook ups Sioux Chief..check em' out..
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                  I'm afraid to solder.
                  And cheap - to save $15 I'll just continue to close all the cold water stops. (They should be occasionally exercised, anyway.)
                  But cannot stop cold water to showers and bathtubs.

If you are that worried install ballvalves at the tub and shower valves..create access somehow to isolate everything
                  ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

this will cause a lot of gnashing of teeth but sharkbite makes a quarter turn valve. breid..............

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                      Install a whole house shut off valve..It is operated by a solenoid that closes when a sensor detects water .You can place one in the laundry , at the main , at the water heater wherever..As far as shock arrestors we were unable to install those 25 years ago..Everything has to be mechanical and readily accessible here..They have ones made just for laundry hook ups Sioux Chief..check em' out..
                      I would actually like to do that and wire sensors at various places.
                      Could have used one when my wife'son lefthe laundry room utility tub running. Had I not come home from work early, the first floor would have been flooded.
                      Now trying to figure a way to place an overflow in thatub.

Comment

Working...
                      X