X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apprenticeship Help Question

I have one question, I've been working for plumbing company fo almost 11 months now & I'm still not signed as an apprentice. I don't get it. I've never been late, Never miss a day. I try my hardest to do the best job I can. How long should I wait? Is it OK to ask for an apprenticeship? Should I part ways with this company? Is this normally? How long do you wait till you sign your apprentices up? I do have around 800 hours on the job? if I leave this company will I lose all my hours worked towards my apprentice? I have kept all my pay stubs? Any advice?

Re: Apprenticeship Help Question

don't know how you do things up there in Canada but down here you can not work as a plumber without an apprentice license and under the supervision of a master that needs to sponsor you.
    sigpic

Comment

we had a classification in the union that was a pre apprentice/ pipe trades. i believe it was a 1 year program then into apprenticeship.

1 of the issues is there might be a backlog of apprentices out of work right now.

i would ask your supervisor/ foreman for an answer. or the apprenticeship council.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Times are tough. You sound like a good person. Document all Your work, addresses,paychecks, Workers on that project, customers addresses . permit #s. In a private Journal. Be wise, never share ,even with best Bud! Be a good employee,and keep those checks coming in for now! This wise Quiet act May serve You well down the road. This is just My take,from My old Guts. The real plumbers like Rick and N.H. Master will have the best approach, Please post about Your life as an apprentice! We all are Big brothers Here!
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          don't know how you do things up there in Canada but down here you can not work as a plumber without an apprentice license and under the supervision of a master that needs to sponsor you.
          Same in Minnesota. Here until he's registered with the state as an apprentice the 800 hours he's worked so far don't mean squat, he's out of luck. If they're not going to sign you up then I would ask them about it. If they wont' then I would find a new employer that will. I don't know how it works up there but here you can't grandfather in your hours. Good luck!

Comment

Here you are suppose to carry an apprentice card if you are not yet a journeyman plumber..You ARE NOT required to be enrolled in an approved apprenticship program though..What sense does that make..I thought that was the whole point .Personally I was never enrolled in an apprenticeship program.Once I had enough hrs. I took my journeymans test. Once I held that long enough I took my masters ..
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I'm only doing service work right now, not new construction, I am non union. if I leave this company will I lose all my hours worked (I have kept all my pay stubs)

Comment

This is for the US but I would expect the Canadian laws to be similar.
                Regulations, Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - U.S. Department of Labor

You should be able to find the same information for Canada on the web.

Apprenticeship Training in British Columbia - Province of British Columbia

I would try contacting your area labor department and find out exactly what the requirements are.
                Maybe this guy is avoiding registering you in an apprenticeship so he doesn't have to complete the necessary reporting, tracking of hours worked, etc.
                Maybe he has some other reason, legit or not. May opinion is if you have worked there for close ot a year now and have been a good employee meaning you show up on time, do quality work, express an interest in learning the trade, and do as you are told, there should be no reason for you not to be registered as an apprentice.

You said you are not working in a union shop, but have you considered working in the
                union (Great future in our trades!)?

UA Canada :: Training

It couldn't hurt to talk to them, tell them what you have been doing the past year, and see where that might get you.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Without the paperwork I doubt your hours mean anything. You would have had to sign up for the apprenticeship program when you first started
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BigD3129 View Post
                    I have one question, I've been working for plumbing company fo almost 11 months now & I'm still not signed as an apprentice. I don't get it. I've never been late, Never miss a day. I try my hardest to do the best job I can. How long should I wait? Is it OK to ask for an apprenticeship? Should I part ways with this company? Is this normally? How long do you wait till you sign your apprentices up? I do have around 800 hours on the job? if I leave this company will I lose all my hours worked towards my apprentice? I have kept all my pay stubs? Any advice?
                    Monday morning I would ask your employer what the situation and his plans are. Be upfront, not saying to be aggressive, just candid. Assuming they're honest this will be the quickest way to find out where you stand.

Calling the Canadian apprenticeship council or whatever you have in Canada will also inform you of the status of the work you've already performed. A few years ago the law was changed in Minnesota so that if you're not registered your hours don't count. Period. So act quickly.
                    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                    X